Anyone here own a sea boat?

karl1991

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had several small trailable boats, a 14' dory being the first which was just for inshore fun on calm sunny days when the kids were younger, so no real risk. Operator tickets..no such thing for a private (non-commercial) boat although some councils, where there is a public slipway, have insisted on seeing ins before use. Insurance was only covered by that of the towing veh, so long as attached. Guess its advisable to have separate cover for when afloat but I never did. Enjoy it, I did.:001_smile:

Most Harbour authorities require you to register your boat to use in the harbour area ( typically between slipway and open sea ) to obtain registration you need proof of insurance ....third party ... in case you hit another boat or injure some one ... this insurance is pretty cheap ... £50 per annum and registration £10 ... although strictly speaking this is only for what ever Harbour you visit ( mine was for Teignmouth , and if I wanted to launch at Salcombe I would need to register there .. and it is much more expensive ) If you are doing any kind of commercial operation eg fishing / diving or carrying passengers for reward then a whole load of regulations apply. One cost to be aware of as well as launch fees is the cost of parking a vehicle and trailer this can easily be £20 ...

To get proper cover talk to a marine insurer. You may need a survey to cover the hull but they will advise.

There are 'rules of the road' when making any passage. Most don't bother but it would give you confidence when afloat. Things like the give way rules, travelling on the right-hand-side of a fairway, sound signals, distress signals and how to signal for help.

The RYA have several helpful booklets and there is a little book called 'A Seaman's Guide To The Rules Of The Road' that is worth looking through.

If you are fishing at anchor please remember to show that you are doing so to other craft. This means hoisting a black ball towards the front end of your vessel so it is clearly visible to others.

You can make one from two pieces of black plastic or buy one from ebay under 'anchor ball'

If you get caught in fog, head for shallow water so the big-uns can't run you down!

Remember what the tide is doing by the days high water times.

Good luck!

codlasher

Edited by codlasher

That's good. I'd probs just do a basic course just for the know how. Do they teach how to read the tides etc or is it pretty self explanatory? Boat wise ive seen a few decent ones for less than 2k, considering I go on 5 or 6 charter fishing trips a year at minimum £40 (plus travel costs) it'll soon earn it's money back

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Arbtalk mobile app

That's good. I'd probs just do a basic course just for the know how. Do they teach how to read the tides etc or is it pretty self explanatory? Boat wise ive seen a few decent ones for less than 2k, considering I go on 5 or 6 charter fishing trips a year at minimum £40 (plus travel costs) it'll soon earn it's money back

Good luck. I used to fish a lot for tope, bass and black bream out of Aberdovey area on the reef. Costs added up for charter fishing so I decided to buy my own boat; a 17' dory.

Great fun etc but the downsides.........the novelty of towing 100 miles soon wears off when you're up at 5am, 10hrs fishing, pull everything out, stick loads of fuel in and drive back. Knackered is the word.

If you're launching from a place that's dictated by tides starts can be very early and you're looking at 12hrs out.

Watch the forecasts and preferably have someone local you can call for a true sea state. Done the drive based on forecasts to find that you can't get out.

Apart from that; enjoy it.

You may find something useful here,

Fishing Boats and Equipment

from an Irish viewpoint

Be aware of any fishing nets under the water from large fishing vessels.

Another thong to be aware of is territories some people claim to have these for generations and wouldn't be pleased to see a blow in try and take their lively hood away.

some area have a lot of tension. in an area where i live their is an upper and lower part of the coast. the two sides hate each other, even though their boats are near each-other on most days. Anyway one of the lower areas boats got into trouble and the other boat waited until the other boat was sunk before calling the lifegaurd. Its petty but true so be very careful where you fish

All the main ports have a high & low water information for every day. Secondary ports have a calculation referring back to the main port. Your Harbour Master will have this anyways. A Reeds Small Craft Almanac is useful in this instance if you are visiting different places. Plus it will have a host of other useful info.

There is a book with all the hidden launching sites available but your biggest thing here is your vehicle security. You want to come back & find your car in one piece or still there!

Yes do a RYA course and you will be well informed for the rest of your fishing life.....Like riding a bike!

Buy a good boat & you'll not regret this + when you come to re-sell! 20' is big enough. Bigger and you will have launching & recovery issues. If there's a cuddy, all the better. I have a very old Danish fishing boat (A 21' Jolle) built in the 1930's now renovated to working condition.

codlasher

Edited by codlasher