Getting some experience...

Lav1991

Hi everyone. Just joined the forum although I've been knocking around as a guest for a while, doing as much research as I can. Working towards a career change and trying to soak up as much info as I possible.

I'm booked in to do my cs30/31 next week with TKF training.

Just wondered if anyone had any advice regarding trying to get some on the job experience, is my best bet to ring round local firms? I'm guessing there is not much of a chance of me getting a paid job with just the cs30/31 and no experience, but I'm willing to do some unpaid work on my days off no bother.

Sooooo... if anyone is feeling generous in the Yorkshire area I'm free Mondays and Tuesdays and willing to put some graft in to get the experience needed.

Thanks Dale

Hi dale.

I was in a similar position to yourself. Having a career change at 30.

I also did my training with TKF and they are brilliant. I did a few more tickets than just the CS30/31 though.

I'm now employed full time but it took maybe a month or two to get a job offer. Basically I just called all around my area and a little further afield, mainly for grounds man positions and such. I also found arbjobs.com really helpful as there's a lot of jobs advertised on there.

Although a lot of the jobs say they want experience I found that people were still interested in talking to me about them and have attended a few interviews for them.

Just a lot of perseverance and patience mate.

Adam.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I am a service leaver so I did the basic arborist course which gave me about 9 tickets in total. I would say try and get your rescue climbing ticket as it's a requirement for a climber to have a rescue climber if he's going in the tree.

The ones that have helped me are the rescue climbing, climbing and rigging. Also chipper ticket is handy but not vital.

Even though I have no industry experience I have been given some basic climbing tasks like crown lifting just to start me off. But definitely look towards rescue climbing.

TKF have been really good as well. They get people calling them every now and again with jobs for newly qualified people and they have emailed me before.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

That's really helpful mate thanks very much. I was thinking rescue climbing and chipper after this. Hopefully somebody will be willing to take me on to get some experience but that will be a waiting game.

Just finished my first day up at TKF seems really good, looking forward to the rest of the week. It must've felt like a second home by the time you'd finished all those tickets.

Would you mind me sending you a pm if I have any stupid questions throughout the process?