Stihls sales policy

Arctostaphylos uva-ursi

I was all set to purchase a stihl hedgecutter online today (HL 100) but then realised that I couldn't because of the over the counter policy. This policy must be having a significant impact on stihls sales figures. No? I had already checked my local dealer and he wanted £210 more than I could buy it for on line with delivery! I believe in supporting my local businesses, but not to that extent.

I went ahead and ordered a TANAKA TCH27EAP instead.

Does anyone know if stihl are suffering from this policy?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just their policy in UK? None of the dealers over here bother asking for confirmation of competence. I've quite a few customers who have walked into Stilh dealers and come out after buying whatever they want to. I always ask them if they know how to use the saw etc safely, but put in a nice way. Quite frightening sometimes.

Is it just their policy in UK? None of the dealers over here bother asking for confirmation of competence. I've quite a few customers who have walked into Stilh dealers and come out after buying whatever they want to. I always ask them if they know how to use the saw etc safely, but put in a nice way. Quite frightening sometimes.

The policy is they won't post/courier items. It's not really a safety thing (perhaps veiled as but just protects dealer network). You can buy whatever you want over the counter.

OP, perhaps approach your local dealer with your online price and see if they'll match it/come close?

Yea, I remember turnin up at a local stilh dealer and this new fella was workin the counter..

Told me he aught not give me back my broken top saw as I didn't have proof of a ticket to use it..

I didn't even know you needed such a thing at the time..

luckily he saw sense and handed me back ma saw....

I was all set to purchase a stihl hedgecutter online today (HL 100) but then realised that I couldn't because of the over the counter policy. This policy must be having a significant impact on stihls sales figures. No? I had already checked my local dealer and he wanted £210 more than I could buy it for on line with delivery! I believe in supporting my local businesses, but not to that extent.

I went ahead and ordered a TANAKA TCH27EAP instead.

Does anyone know if stihl are suffering from this policy?

Plenty of Stihl chainsaws have landed here in Argyll from a large Stihl dealer in the South , not much regard for Stihl's over the counter policy !

Plenty of Stihl chainsaws have landed here in Argyll from a large Stihl dealer in the South , not much regard for Stihl's over the counter policy !

Perhaps they have been purchased in person in the past.

As I understand it, if you purchase face to face at a show for example, and are then on the dealers customer list, they can mail saws out after that. I may be wrong though!