nikon forestry pro

tree79

Hi

Does any one use a nikon forestry pro laser measure?

I'm looking to buy as they seem good value for money.

I currently use a leica disto d5 which says it's suitable for tree measurement but I find that laser doesn't bounce back for the tops of crowns to well.

Any advice in the nikon would be great

Many thanks

Tree

Had mine a couple of years. Struggles a bit to locate the tree base at times even with sparse vegetation and very occasionally with the top of the canopy.

I had hoped to measure crown spreads, but it won't read unless you're more than 10m away.

Not having used anything else I've nothing to compare it to.

OK,

Well my leica is great for Crown spreads just doesn't pick up the top of the Crown to well.

At the moment I end up using the laser for spead but still use my old school clinometer.

Just hoping to combine in to 1 item of kit

Thanks for the feedback

The Leica disto D8 seems to be more suited to measuring tree heights, as it only uses a tilt measurement for the top of the tree, rather than having to get the laser pointer to hit it. I have the D8. It took a while to get used to, but I couldn't do without it now.

I was sold the d5 as it states suitable for trees and with having the camera it works outside. It takes 3 measurements but is hard to locate at the tree top.

I looked at the d8 but was twice the price.

The Leica disto D8 seems to be more suited to measuring tree heights, as it only uses a tilt measurement for the top of the tree, rather than having to get the laser pointer to hit it. I have the D8. It took a while to get used to, but I couldn't do without it now.

I was sold the d5 as it states suitable for trees and with having the camera it works outside. It takes 3 measurements but is hard to locate at the tree top.

Maybe the D8 and D5 work in a similar way then.

Are you finding it difficult to determine where the top of the tree is (particularly on broad, domed crowns and irregular shaped crowns)?

If so, it helps to take the measurement from a distance equal to, or greater than, the height of the tree.

You can use the cross hairs on the camera to determine the top. You don't have to be able to see the red dot.

I hope this helps?

Maybe the D8 and D5 work in a similar way then.

Are you finding it difficult to determine where the top of the tree is (particularly on broad, domed crowns and irregular shaped crowns)?

If so, it helps to take the measurement from a distance equal to, or greater than, the height of the tree.

You can use the cross hairs on the camera to determine the top. You don't have to be able to see the red dot.

I hope this helps?

Hi

Looks like you was right, the D8 has the height tracking, but the D5 didn't, but the newer model the D510 does have height tracking and my supplier has swap it and done me a good deal.

The height tracking works very well, just trying to work out how to measure distance from the canopy to building now lol.

Do you use a tripod with uses??

many thanks

tree

• 4 months later...
OK,

Well my leica is great for Crown spreads just doesn't pick up the top of the Crown to well.

I'm trying to figure out how these devices can be used for measuring crown spread, or more importantly, branch length.

eg: if I want to measure the length of the remaining branch after 1.5m has been cut off the end. Hope that makes sense.

I'm also trying to determine if I need such a high tech device or if the Suunto clinometer will do the job. Or indeed, if I should continue with my thumb and educated guesses.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Al.