New to the game.

AmberLeaf

Hey,

I'm currently in the British Army and have been for 7 years, however I'm looking to leave soon and a career in tree surgery really really appeals to me, I am looking at doing a course with Kingswood that would be intensive and give me all the relevant tickets, this course obviously would leave me lacking on the experience front, I was just wandering, how employable I would be to a company and how much would I be able to ask for on a day rate.

Thanks in advance.

Will.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in Folkestone in Kent,

So do you think its worth me spending the best part or £4000 on this course that gives me all the tickets, or starting from the bottom with no tickets and working my way up?

Basically I'm worried about taking a serious pay cut from the army, I'm looking for the best/quickest way of becoming a well paid climber.

Cheers.

I may be able to help with some coppice work.

Only up the road in sellindge.

I would see what courses Scott Fraser has or if your doing courses at kings wood make sure that Dave hill or Tony are teaching it.

30/31 is the basic requirement which lets you maintain and fell small trees and would be the minimum to go out with anybody.

Maybe worth finding some firms that will take you out to see if you like it?

Marks offer sounds great and is be happy with £80 a day atm

I don't think there is a quick way to become a well paid climber as you need the experience.

I'm leaving the civil service in the next 3 weeks and looking at facing my wage being cut in half to start in this industry.

My thinking would be to find somewhere to do the basic tickets such as maintenance, cross cut, small fell, climbing & rescue and the use of a saw in trees (new versions of CS30,31,38 and 39) then get work on the ground to gain experience.

If the MOD do a resettlement package and will pay the £4k for the intensive then go for it. If you're forking out then look at somewhere like Roland Heming, they do course with accommodation available and they're very good.

As far as I can tell the only way to good wages in Arb is through experience so pretty much start at the bottom and graft.

As above, you won't be earning good money as a climber without at least a couple of years experience.

If you're in it for the money you're better off spending your resettlement in a different field.

Remember the majority of commercial climbers don't make it past about 40.

There are exceptions.

Remember the majority of commercial climbers don't make it past about 40.

There are exceptions.

My hope is that a lot dont make it past 40 as they've had 20-25 years grafting. I'm hoping I still have 10-15 years effort left in me after my 15 years hard graft controlling an office chair :001_tt2: