Husky 135

treeace

I'm retired now but still need a chainsaw for cutting firewood and garden maintenance. All my working years I bought and used Stihl saws but six months ago I bought a new Husky 135. I've had trouble with the chain and guide bar from day one and after very little use I now have a chain with plenty of life left in the cutting teeth but drive links that are badly burred. Any one else had problems with this model?

Just went and got my 135 out of the shed to check.

Original Husqvarna 14" bar on mine, which is what 95+% of these saws are sold with. Spud's quite correct, they run 3/8LP (LoPro) Pitch, 1.3mm (0.050") guage.

How to check? The bar & chain markings will tell you all. Mine reads 578 18 66-52 9G

...................................................................,,,,,..................................... 14 91

The 52 on the top line is number of drive links.

14 91 is the length in inches (14) and Oregon chain type (91 = 3/8LP, 1.3mm guage)

Husky chain type is stamped into the drive link. you'll need to slacken it off and pull it from the bar to check.

37 is Husky's designator for Oregon 91PX (3/8LP, 1.3mm guage, low kickback)

36 = the older Oregon 91VG (same pitch/guage as above)

The important bit is to check the pitch/guage of the bar match the chain. 91 on the bar and 37 on the chain or 91 if it's an Oregon replacement chain. If that all matches next check the sprocket.

Has the chain been run very slack? I did have one occasion when I failed to tighten the single bar nut enough, the chain crept loose. Running it like that for long would possibly result in excessive drive link wear, although you'd probably expect to see some bar wear as well from chain slap, as you're an experienced user I excluded this, but always worth asking? HTH

Thanks for the speedy replys Gents. Bar and chain appear to match up, apart from the 9S on the bar which differs from the 9G from BISHBASHBOSH.

The sprocket teeth appear to be untouched. I can't see any part number on it and not having worked on saws for a long time, I'm reluctant to remove it; unless someone gives me simple instructions.

The dealer tech. wasn't interested in my problem. According to him, this is quite common, caused by the chain coming off; the chain is knackered(his words); it's not possible to give me another saw even if I pay a price difference. His solution was to sell me another chain; I can give you a good price(his words). I wasn't impressed.

Any more advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

1-P1010362.jpg.0d50fd209474ff32917e40e202e95f07.jpg

1-P1010363.jpg.9dd49e0067c9274933ec80237854ed4a.jpg

1-P1010364.jpg.8d0021218966a7866d577c6e27a636b9.jpg

1-P1010371.jpg.6d60fcd6349743b0456b198329d7bf5e.jpg

1-P1010366.jpg.38d7c7b147d9125132d812b1290701f6.jpg

Are you sure the drive links are not bottoming out in the bar groove? Is the bar ok and are the rails worn down enough to allow the drive links to scrape the bottom groove? It also looks like the chain could be sloppy in the groove, IE. The bar groove is too wide for the drive links, (chain and bar are not a match)?