Advice please!

jaceep

Hi I'm 24 live in the Dartford area, northwest Kent (SE London) and I am soon going to complete a 4 week intensive course with kingwood training giving me cs 30/31 38/39, stump grinder and woodchipper. I am inexperienced but have been pondering this career change for a good while and have decided it's perfect for me (at least I hope so!).

I weighed up my different training options such as going to college which I know would give me a much broader knowledge and understanding of trees and the industry, but I feel motivated enough to learn what I need and more on the job and through books.

What I basically want to ask here is, once I complete this course (29th October 2016) would I be able to pick up work quickly dispute having no industry experience?

I have been offered the time unpaid off my current job as a caretaker while I complete the course. However, I do just want an end date to this role so I can concentrate my efforts on my new and hopefully prosperous career in the Arb industry. I am in a comfortable position and can afford to not be in work for a few week but this is not ideal, having the chance to walk straight into work after completing this course would be fantastic and would really get me excited.

I'd love to hear from some of you. Ta.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see ads for companys lookin for people in london area all the time,dunno if id be brave enough too jack in a job in the off chance that i could start a whole new career though.

Be prepared to start at the bottom and working hard for not much in remuneration mate good luck

Thanks for the reply, I'm sure most people wouldn't quit a job on the off chance either, but I'm in a pretty comfortable position and can afford a few weeks without an income. I have the idea of getting a couple days unpaid work with one or two firms so they can get to know me and hopefully take me on once I complete the course. Is that likely?

I just want to get some experience under my belt as soon as possible to get started in something I will enjoy.

Thanks for the reply, I'm sure most people wouldn't quit a job on the off chance either, but I'm in a pretty comfortable position and can afford a few weeks without an income. I have the idea of getting a couple days unpaid work with one or two firms so they can get to know me and hopefully take me on once I complete the course. Is that likely?

I just want to get some experience under my belt as soon as possible to get started in something I will enjoy.

Might be longer than a few weeks unemployed,in that situation what do you do?

In my experience most firms i know wont do unpaid/voluntary work.

Oh really? I have heard otherwise a few times that voluntary work is common. I guess not everywhere.

More than a few weeks wouldn't be ideal, true. But if I was to start looking now for start in November I'm sure I'd find something no?