selling on ebay

devon TWiG

Hi , I have recently had something for sale on ebay ( an outboard boat engine ) It is my first time on ebay and I find it bloody bewildering !! it is on as a classified ad and someone made an offer ( after some stupid low ones !! ) and I accepted the offer ..It states buyer to collect ( cash or cleared cheque ) however after a few days I heard nothing from would be buyer so I got in touch to ask if he still wants it ? his reply was that he is away on holiday until the 7th of August so collection and payment could be some time after this, however the ad ends before then what if he does not come good on the deal ? , is he committed to buying it ? do i have to sell to him ? ( I have had other similar offers ) Is it acceptable to have to wait this long with no contact or completion of sale ? any advice / help would be appreciated !!

Thanks for the response , I will look in to doing that ..... however could I end up with bad feedback for doing that ? It would be unfortunate for my first ever non fault /non sale !!!!........... although I know a local motor trader who has great feedback .... yet has done 5 years in jail for motor vehicle fraud !!!

If its listed as a classified ad its the same as putting it in your local shop or paper and its up to you and the buyer to sort things out- normal auction or buy it now rules dont apply. Pretty sure you cant leave feedback on a classified listing.

Exactly that, no feedback, sell to who you like, buyer collects , so no distance selling regulations and Ebay cannot interfere if buyer trumps up some ridiculous problem. Just get 25% deposit of buyer but refund deposit when buyer arrives and take full amount in cash, no fear of any trouble then. If buyer refuses to give deposit , he is a waster and move on

I've got it the other way round at the minute, 2 weeks ago won a machine for collection only, and then the guy emails to say he's away and will phone when he's back on the 24th.

Not heard anything yet, and have the cash here burning a hole in my pocket!

Classified ads are no feedback sales. Some motor traders have only used classified ads and been on there a while hence 0 feedback.

You need to shift your motor, first come first served in the sense of who actually comes for it.

You do get the odd self centred universe person on eBay now and again. However I find it like this forum, met some fab people. But there will always be a nuisance pop up now and again!

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk