help with acer wind burn

flatyre

Hey folks, I have tried to grow Japanese Maple on a number of occasions and every time they get wind burned within a few days of putting them outside. I have had a small sapling indoors for about two years and it wasn't doing very well so I thought i'd give it a breath of fresh air moved it outside to a shady sheltered corner of the garden. Within a few days it had produced more new leaves than in two years of indoor living, but a few days later all the leaves were starting to dry out and burn at the tips, most have now lost their colour and are dying, any ideas?

When any plant suddenly makes rapid growth they can outgrow the nutrient and water supply capabilities. If they then get stressed by any water shortage or higher temperatures it can result in exactly as you describe. Given the recent weather it is no surprise.

I have some container grown trees I am struggling to keep going. I knew what to expect but am still losing the battle with a few of them in this hot weather.

Hot weather isn't the problem, it is the sudden change and intense sunlight that is getting mine.

thanks guys, i'll start putting it out for a few hours in the evening, how long does it take to acclimatise to permanent outdoor living?

Either the plant will survive in the environment you have chosen to put it in or it wont.

My Acers get some wind burn every year and some years my Magnolia looses its buds to frost but that's because I am making then live half way up a Pennine hillside.

If it's going to be a hot day or sun all day through. Give it a bucket of water in the morning and another in the evening. What it doesn't need will drain but it'll help to prevent die back in next year's growth. If it's going to be fine but not overly sunny or roasting. Leave it with the moisture it already has.