What stump grinder

Dicer

Hi all I'm looking for a pedestrian grinder got £1500ish to play with what do you guys recommend!?.cheers

I have just got one of the Rock Machinery stump grinders, great machine can't fault it. But at the end of the day remember it is only a pedestrian machine

Hi all I'm looking for a pedestrian grinder got £1500ish to play with what do you guys recommend!?.cheers

£1500 would just.. with some haggling, get you a second hand Rayco RG13 which, in my opinion, would be better than a new Rock Machinery grinder.

£1500 would be better put down as a deposit on a bigger machine.

I have had one of the rock machines for a little while, it's alright ish. Not very well built it's always having little breakdowns, throttle cable snapped due to poor rooting, deadman switch failure due to lack of adjustment had to fix it by welding a m12 to it, bolts on the belt shroud snapped. However for 1500 quid it does the job and halfords have a half price sale on socket sets I suggest you invest in both at the same time!

i have a alpha delta stump grinder basically a rock machine with different engine and colour there ok i got mine for under 900 new as the guy put a few on ebay without reserves would i have paid the full £1400 the answer would be no. You be better of buying a older dosko or rayco with 20hp engines and would do bigger stumps a lot better. I have done some 26inch cherry stumps with my alpha one but its hard work and slow going there ok up to 16inch\18inch stumps after that get a bigger machine. alpha delta offers for a tad more money a 14hp kohler engine and alpha teeth are 84 pound where rock machinery are 120 pound a set

I know several guys that have done what you are contemplating and have subsequently regretted it! Firstly, to own a stump grinder you need to be mechanically minded or it will cost you a lot in 'down time' and repairs.

Secondly, small machines are relatively ineffective and smash the operator almost as much as they smash the stump! It's a lot of outlay for something which you may only use occasionally and will probably need another trailer for which you can't tow with a chipper.

I recently bought a Rayco RG 20 HD for £1400 which had a few issues. New starter motor required, wheel sheared off, no handbrake, broken battery box, new rubber guards, filled with 2-stroke mixture, etc...

I've now got it reduced to 28" wide and keep it as a narrow access option, but even at 20hp it is still a pig to operate!

You may be better off trying to find someone like myself locally that just does stumps as a 'subby'. I charge by the hour and can do more in an hour than most could do in numerous hours with a small 'hipbuster'.

Factor some money in for yourself and everyone's a winner!

I also get offered tree work which I pass on to mates that look after me.

I now have several local guys that find it more cost effective to get me out than to use their own small machines.

Maybe hire a few different ones first before you take the plunge of buying one? Stump grinding with small machines is not a job for the faint hearted!

Where are you based?

SG

I'd give the small machines a miss and look at the 25hp ish pedestrian machines like the dan equip and dosko etc they are 24" with little wheels and are very effective machines, hard work still, but they cut considerably faster than the smaller pedestrian machines.