Saw Allowance

monkeybusiness

We're having a bit of an issue with employees not looking after our kit as well as hoped... I'm contemplating going back to the old skool and paying the lads a daily allowance to provide their own saws (company to provide fuel and oil, as well as blower/big saws etc when necessary).

What's the going rate being paid to employees to provide their own ground saw and climbing saw? All PPE/climbing kit etc will continue to be provided by the business - this is just a rate for 2x saws.

PM me if you'd prefer - I won't share any 'secret' info.

Cheers in advance you beautiful people!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a minefield. Insurances/HSE - how do you prove maintenance, etc. Saw isn't working, do you not pay the employee for the day? Not legal. Saw gets stolen ftom a job, who pays?

Personally if my employees were abusing my tools then they wouldn't continue to be my employees.

How abouts you tell them they are on their last company saws or replace the kit saws and chains with new by gang or however. Then after a time period start to pay rate per week.

I imagine files, chains plugs, bars need including. How long do you expect a saw to last?

Also you need to spec a minimum spec & cc. Or the lads will turn up with Aldi specials that fail half way though the first week leaving your firm looking amateur.

It's only fair the staff get to use their kit out of working for your company time. I know some firms are anti this.

I need to speak to my accountant about the finer details (I'm under the impression that it will be a tax free tool allowance payment in addition to their wages, paid for each day that they provide working saws). That's how it worked many moons ago when I was employed by Tilhill and supplied my own saws. The idea is certainly not to punish the lads - it has to be economically viable from both sides (and this way they effectively end up with their own saws paid for by the company). I'm happy to supply saws that they then pay for from their daily allowance, so there won't be any up-front costs.

It is pretty standard practice with several firms in the utility industry - I'm just trying to get a feel for rates.

I'm not concerned by HSE etc - it's no different to how we already operate really. Lads are trained and competent, undertake daily recorded PUWER checks - if they turn up with saws that aren't fit for purpose they won't get paid their daily allowance. Yes they will have to provide files/chains/bars etc - I'd imagine it might extend the working life of files and chains a bit too somehow... This all needs to be included within the allowance.