Tattoos in the workplace

JonB88

Whilst getting my neck blasted today I was wondering how many people have tattooed guys working for them like hands etc. And whether people wouldn't employ someone because of it?

It's becoming more and more socially acceptable now but where would the line be in having someone working for you? I personally have never had any issues with them and it's always a good source of conversation with the customers etc.

I guess visible tattoos are a marmite type thing?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When my big bro came back with his first tat my dad went mental and said 'There's only two types of people who get tattoos son. Sailors and criminals, and I haven't seen you on any f'ing ships recently!'

I'm not bothered either way, but anything that's visible below long sleeves sets alarm bells ringing.

Any on your face and it's a no from me.

Also, if you're going to get them, spend some money and go to someone really good.

I've always liked the ideas of tattoes.

Problem is I wouldn't want something meaningless, but at the same time wouldn't want to sound like a pretentious douche trying to explain it.

In our trade I can't see a problem, but I'd avoid garish ink that can't easily be covered.

Not my prejudice, but those of the people we work for perhaps.

When my big bro came back with his first tat my dad went mental and said 'There's only two types of people who get tattoos son. Sailors and criminals, and I haven't seen you on any f'ing ships recently!'

I'm not bothered either way, but anything that's visible below long sleeves sets alarm bells ringing.

Any on your face and it's a no from me.

Also, if you're going to get them, spend some money and go to someone really good.

What alarm bells? I'd be disappointed if I didn't get asked to work for someone based on image and not ability/personality in this industry just because my hands were tattooed.

I guess it all just comes down to the people and how they get on. Although I do understand if someone came along with offensive tattoos on display it's a no go.

Having had tattoos since i was old enough to get tattoo'd,got my first at 18 and im 44 now,im heavily tattood and ive seen both ends of the spectrum.It was widley regarded that anyone with tattoos was either a dodgy character or armed forces.Im neither but i have experienced prejudice on the fact i have tattoos and i know its cost me work in the past(i used to be a chef 20 years ago).

Thankfully those days have gone,tattoos are very common and accepted in mainstream society.

I would have no problem hiring a person who was heavily tattood;arm,hands even neck and face,its not how a person looks its how they are as a person,employee or wokmate.

I pity people who judge others because of the way they look.

Personally I have no issue with tattoos. When they are done well I really like them, prison or Indian ink work not so much. However political, zenophobic, sexually explicit which are visible would cause me some issues when employing/contracting subbies. The majority of my work is domestic and I have to consider image and customer perception of professionallity. Sad but true that most of us judge a book by it's cover. My best mate is a six foot six muscley Glaswegian, who intimidates many but is the nicest gentlest fella I have ever met.

Wordy as all my posts generally are, apologies!