does anyone now the make model of my stump grinder

johnnyman1990

Can't say I've ever seen one like that before. Most will have a makers name somewhere, but there are a serious amount of home made versions and copies about. I would think looking at the brake style lever and lawnmower throttle that this is a home made one. It has a Honda engine which is a good feature. If it works - it works. Any machine of that size will have its limitations though. It will be low powered and light weight which will batter you as well as the stump (eventually!). Ok for occasional light use, but that's about it. That said, all stumps are made of wood! It's just a case of how much time and effort you want to expend. That machine would take out a privet hedge stumps in no time, but a 5 foot oak stump would be rather emoitional!

Keep your teeth sharp and cut a little at a time. Move the machine so that you cut along the grain and not across it for maximium effect. Technique is important with a smaller machine. Some operators just rely on brute power with blunt teeth to overcome poor technique which is also not cost effective.

Where did you buy it from?

SG

I've seen one like this before, I think its a "Woodchuck" or "Chipmunk" or something similar.

I think they are designed for taking small shrub stumps just below the surface.

The cutting wheel is strange and mounted at an unusual angle, more like a sweeping bush than a grinding wheel.

I have seen these for sale at a local Lawn mower dealer many years ago , they were factory built has you say but aimed at the Domestic user . Try this fella at Walsh garden machinery,has said many years ago and not a dealer I use .

Garden Machinery

Unit 14 St. Michael's Industrial Est

Hale Rd, Widnes, Cheshire WA8 8TL

Tel: 0151 423 4411

Fax: 0151 423 6322

[email protected]

Ste

Looking at the design more closely, I think this may be a converted wheeled strimmer!

The guard at the front would be a little bigger than the cutter line. The castor works the same as on a pedestrian flail giving good manoeuvrability whilst keeping the head at a constant but adjustable height. Turf tyres and a relatively small engine would also indicate more of a mowing machine? I hope you didn't pay a stump grinder style price for it?

SG

More pictures of it here:

Stump Grinder | eBay

Edited by Stumpy Grinder

Looking at the design more closely, I think this may be a converted wheeled strimmer!

The guard at the front would be a little bigger than the cutter line. The castor works the same as on a pedestrian flail giving good manoeuvrability whilst keeping the head at a constant but adjustable height. Turf tyres and a relatively small engine would also indicate more of a mowing machine? I hope you didn't pay a stump grinder style price for it?

SG

I don't think it is a conversion.

You wouldn't want a line trimmer with the turd flicker pointing up :thumbdown. I suspect the thinking behind the angled cutter head was to have less teeth in contact because of the lack of power.

I cant see any signs of what would be obvious traces of modification.

The caster isn't a caster, to be that, it would need to be on a swivel, as it is its just going to be a hinderance to operation. Nether does it look to be a depth gauge, it would be in the hole the grinder made so that wouldn't work.

The fact that it has a mechanism to get it out of the way while in the operators position speaks to it being a transport aid.

Its a PP design but as you say' as long as it was cheap.........

No idea on manufacture but belts and bearings will be available from a decent engineering factor and those look like bog standard finger teeth to me

Carlton / Rayco Type Straight Finger Teeth