Going under the knife!

timberbear

Going in for surgery on my elbow tomorrow, the first time I've ever gone under the knife. I haven't been able to straighten my arm for two years because of the Osteophytes that have formed and degenerative hyaline. My only concern is that I won't get to see Wales beat England! I've got to ring the hospital at 6.30am to make sure they have a bed for me!

Any advice pre and post operation!

I just had my wrist done after rolling a quad. The main thing I'll say is take a book, there's often a long wait in a ward even if you're lucky enough to get a morning slot you'll be there til 8.

If they're knocking you out completely like I was it's really weird when you wake up because it feels like a dream but enjoy the morphine while you can and try not to say anything stupid. ;)

You're guaranteed to feel sick after because they can't get the dose perfect first time. If they offer you medicine to stop sickness then take it because they won't let you go until you keep a meal down.

Hospital food isn't terrible but it's not good either so if you feel a bit sick just have a bucket in the car and say you're fine then get out (that's what I did, not medical advice of course)

good luck mate. I have been in surgery many times now. I trust the surgeons to do their job as I am sure you hope your clients trust you to do yours. The one bit of advice I will give is to have any physio offered and do any exercises suggested. Understand why the exercises are important and which you can do more often and which you should be cautious about doing to much! I find talking frankly to the phisio about my willingness to help myself as much as possible and my wish to get back to work asap really has helped.

I've had 3 ops on my hand, the worst bit is fasting! The getting knocked out is cool and waking back up is pretty cool too!

I don't sleep well so it was great counting down from 10 and hey presto, snoozy time!

Food was good in hospital and the toast and tea after is great!

Best sleep I ever have, almost worth busting something for the quality sleep you get! Had 6 ops now and I could be addicted to anaesthetic big time!

What he and Stephen said. As yet I haven't had an adverse reaction, im usually pretty sharp on wake up and it's quality sleep. I love the feeling as the anaesthetic starts to work.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1466102352.441962.jpg.da044a82e492be2be168ce8946ebd49f.jpg

Was under for about two hours in the end, the Osteophytes were the size of mellons! Two big bits of bone floating around no wonder I couldn't straighten my arm! Missed the footy but woke up with shin pads on and the paper pants were cool! Staff were brilliant and I did apologise to the one nurse for being sick on her!