Laurel woodchip saga

Dean Lofthouse

Just had a woman on the phone saying its dangerous to put Laurel Chip on my chip pile and allow people to take it. It should be removed and the area treated with vinegar.

"Her friend could have died" and "all her greenhouse plants have died with it."

Apparently her friend picked some up from my chip pile and transported it in her car from Huddersfield to York, a good hour trip. Then this woman put some in her greenhouse and all her flowers are dying.

She was on the phone ranting about how dangerous the stuff is and its irresponsible of me to let people take it.

I tried to explain things to her but she was a google expert and slammed the phone down on me when I suggested thats what she was.. :confused1:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just had a woman on the phone saying its dangerous to put Laurel Chip on my chip pile and allow people to take it. It should be removed and the area treated with vinegar.

"Her friend could have died" and "all her greenhouse plants have died with it."

Apparently her friend picked some up from my chip pile and transported it in her car from Huddersfield to York, a good hour trip. Then this woman put some in her greenhouse and all her flowers are dying.

She was on the phone ranting about how dangerous the stuff is and its irresponsible of me to let people take it.

I tried to explain things to her but she was a google expert and slammed the phone down on me when I suggested thats what she was.. :confused1:

Sorry to disagree but a n hour in a car with P. laurocerasus chip with a lot of leaf in it and no ventilation could have led to the breathing in of enough hydrogen cyanide to cause dizziness or even unconsciousness for the driver. But note, I said leaf. Being evergreen, P. l. wood will usually get chipped with leaf. Should you have foreseen its theft and the consequences? That's a different matter. Or did you give someone permission to take it?

Sorry to disagree but a n hour in a car with P. laurocerasus chip with a lot of leaf in it and no ventilation could have led to the breathing in of enough hydrogen cyanide to cause dizziness or even unconsciousness for the driver. But note, I said leaf. Being evergreen, P. l. wood will usually get chipped with leaf. Should you have foreseen its theft and the consequences? That's a different matter. Or did you give someone permission to take it?

And yet she managed to survive the trip, and spread the chip in a greenhouse. Did you consider they might have used polly bags rather than have it loose in the back of a car?

And yet she managed to survive the trip, and spread the chip in a greenhouse. Did you consider they might have used polly bags rather than have it loose in the back of a car?

I did say 'could have led to ...'. I have no sympathy for her unless she was told it was safe to take the stuff and drive with the windows shut for an hour. With or without poly bags.

Most of us in the tree game know to treat laurel leaf chip with a small degree of respect, but for a customer to go off at you like that is barmy. Glad I'm not the only one with mad customers.

I think her point was her friend should have not been allowed to take it if there is a health risk, however small. As they were not in the tree game they cannot be expected to know these risks.