What's the best treatment for conifer mite ?

sasha.p

I started on a hedge last week and returned to finish it this week only to find when I arrived the whole side I had cut was absolutely plastered in cobwebs and starting to brown initially I thought the tips had been sun scorched with it being so dry as plenty of green underneath and it was a hot day when I cut it but when I went around to the other side of the hedge I soon spotted it had rather large browned areas that were not there before when I last saw it back in the winter and again cobwebs all over .I googled it and came across conifer mite and progreens website showed how to check for it so I did the paper check and I found loads of the things ! my customer has a dog and wants something that is not going to harm the dog she will not use weedkillers etc due to the dog can somebody recomend a product that will get these things under control please as I dont want her to lose the hedge either as its a lovely hedge also how far do these things travel there is a tree in a neighbours garden thats completely browned off and dead could they of come from there?.

I started on a hedge last week and returned to finish it this week only to find when I arrived the whole side I had cut was absolutely plastered in cobwebs and starting to brown initially I thought the tips had been sun scorched with it being so dry as plenty of green underneath and it was a hot day when I cut it but when I went around to the other side of the hedge I soon spotted it had rather large browned areas that were not there before when I last saw it back in the winter and again cobwebs all over .I googled it and came across conifer mite and progreens website showed how to check for it so I did the paper check and I found loads of the things ! my customer has a dog and wants something that is not going to harm the dog she will not use weedkillers etc due to the dog can somebody recomend a product that will get these things under control please as I dont want her to lose the hedge either as its a lovely hedge also how far do these things travel there is a tree in a neighbours garden thats completely browned off and dead could they of come from there?.

If your after an online diagnosis , Well pics are a must ; ) :thumbup1:

I grabbed these pics but this is of the inside will get one now of what i left it like on the outside last week and will grab one tomorrow whilst im back there of what the outside now looks like I was a bit mortified if im totally honest it is like somebody spun a web right across the whole hedgeline its everywhere and tips have browned on tips where cut but still green beneath the one pic shows the tree further up in the next garden thats completely wiped out.You can almost see the cobwebs over the hedge in the last pic they are everywhere on it

1972489_10152181239311331_9125747991863881474_n.jpg.62e7c7a09d64069dfa57650052ed29d1.jpg

10525862_10152181239096331_1298371739242012286_n.jpg.7c7b40839365e61139300a6b34ad1899.jpg

Edited by sasha.p
Adding to text

This was how I left it last week today it looked like halloween had been and gone and kids had covered it in cobwebs no sign of catterpillars although there were a lot of moths coming from the hedge whilst I cut the inside I will see if I can get a shot of the mites tomorrow but they may be too small for the camera

1909905_788962564476187_1293144144021050709_n.jpg.f6949fbb9061586c159b37b227107630.jpg

10524666_788962344476209_6951998252977684968_n.jpg.73839e6006cb0bc52c2be89dbe38d9e1.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1406930551.996987.jpg.4606160847b9db994cf10b07c19ea6a5.jpg I returned today and took these pics I shook the branches that were bad where I had shaken them yesterday but nowhere near the same amount of bugs fell out so I assume they were upset by me cutting the other side yesterday but this is how it looked when I returned after cutting the front last week !Does anyone know how long it takes for them to work their way through a hedge and cause damage like you see in other pics?I e mailed Bayer and asked if they do a product and got the response below but I read online there is an oil product does anyone know what this stuff is?my customer would be much happier with that being used than chemicals and would happily spray it on at her own leisure if I can find out what the product is

- Thank you for your enquiry regarding the control of conifer mites. These, and the cypress aphid can cause brown patches to appear along conifer hedges. Provado Ultimate Bug killer Concentrate 2 is suitable for the control of either of these pests at a rate of 20ml/lt water.

I have attached a link to the RHS on the subject of conifer hedges and some reasons why they may be browning. Just to note - it will be only the oils, which make up the bulk of this liquid concentrate, that will go some way to controlling mites by blocking their breathing holes, If the browning of these hedges is due to the cypress aphid systemic control will be offered from this insecticide Provado Ultimate Bug Killer Concentrate 2 is available from many garden centres and certain DIY stores. I have attached a product image which may help you to recognise it when next out shopping for your garden.

(easydose - new, current bottle) but you may well find the other bottle in store. They are exactly the same, merely different bottles.

Yours sincerely

Anita Dent

[email protected]

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1406930442.617509.jpg.96b6f44baf76e1f48d64665165f88881.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1406930421.270194.jpg.25e7bf6c72d4c9dcffc636a6e1fcea82.jpg

Edited by sasha.p

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered some off e bay and was going to give it ago on their hedge to see if I can wipe the things out but I read you can buy it at any main horticultural suppliers so was gonna take a look and ask around the next time I head out to the main garden centres as have not heard of it before pro green must of sold it at one point but dont seem to have anything on their website for it.Let me know if the provado works :thumbup1: