Baby names!

sloth

Couldn't be less arb related!

My wife and I are have a little boy due June, and we are so stuck for a name! Must have looked at thousands :eek:

Anyway I don't want to bore you all, but wanted opinions on Tybias.

Would you pronounce it the same as Tobias, ie T'bye'us, not Toe'bye'us?

And what if anything would you shorten it to? Toby?

Any other suggestions welcomed, as a guide we like very old names, generally...

Daughter named Temperance. Other names we are liking, but not necessarily both of us! Ishmael, reuben, eben(ezer), galahad, ezekiel, Otto, ludovic, Emmanuel, zebediah, Abraham, malachi

Edited by sloth

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't help, but I empathise. When our first daughter was born we were stuck for a name (well, that we both liked anyway). We also like old names, and eventually found "Mahala" about 3 days before she was born. Then we had another daughter....

Took us three weeks after she was born to find something, and we only decided then as otherwise we would have started losing out on child benefit. Eventually went for Keziah.

My G Grandfather was Reuben. He had a brother called Absolom. I quite like old testament names, not for any religious reason but they have a certain ring of solidity about them. Perhaps not Nebuchadnezzar though.

Alec

This is a great thread, my wife is expecting our first at the end of June (nice busy time of year for us farmers but there we go!) and she's got a list of names for both as were not finding out but I'm keen for something bit different from the normal Sam and Rosie type names....... so this is making good reading along with that website!

Keep up the good work!!! Bring on the dirty nappies and screaming, can't wait to get to the fun parts and smiles and giggles now. Didn't ever think i'd have kids or want them but bring it on now!:thumbup::thumbup:

We went for names we liked, (obviously), were also easy to spell, (for others, now and when the kids grow up, (something to think about with modern communication. The postman could generally work it out, postmaster doesn't.)) and that didn't sound too bad when folk shorten them.

If I saw "Tybias" written down then I'd probably pronounce is "Tibias" or "Teabias". Could shorten it to "Ty", which I like.

"Riley" is a good name for a boy - not too common. So is "Eden" - suits boys and girls.

Edited by Pedroski