Dual Decay

David Humphries

Here's one I haven't come across before.

Laetiporus and Fistulina in attendance and fruiting on the same Tree at the same time.

L. sulphurous - Causes brown rot via exposed heartwood, usualy seen from April to July on trunk and branches.

(very extended fruiting period this year :confused1:)

F. hepatica - Causes brown cubical rot within heartwood, seen from August to October.

Two brackets of each on this Oak.

Laetiporus in the top cavivity & at the base of the lower Lhs branch.

Fistulina a foot below Rhs lower branch & at the base of Lhs scar.

P9090060.jpg.b045a508f2c6b4ac62193676699abdf5.jpg

P9090057.jpg.eeb1a4fd41141ece1b49bb0526a5de1f.jpg

P9090063.JPG.82504331388ee7397c4b25d4a5452d5f.JPG

P9090051.JPG.4b6c2cffc8225c7cecd20a5af9a6c0bb.JPG

P9090065.JPG.0df228fa4bbfdece356c3b9d3baab329.JPG

Yes i have had both on the same tree before.Alsotoday i was driving down the avenue and spotted fistulina about 6 feet up the stem then after lunch i saw some more about 10 feet up the stem, then when i was coming home i spotted anouther one on a pollarded oak roadside growing on the goblet, so after saying i have never seen fistulina above the butt i have now seen several fungi have all gone barmy:001_smile:

• 9 months later...

Starting to become further intrigued by the presence of two or more fungi on the same host.

Guess that different decay stratergies & MO's working on different parts of the Tree, probably answers for most of the occurances.

Also secondary infection by saprophytes brought on by the degredation/dysfunction initiated by pathogenic fungi is obviously a. n. other reason.

Nothing ground breaking, just observations I suppose.

Earlier today, was trying to work out which came first on a twin stemmed Birch at work, the Armillaria in evidence via the rhizomorphs, mycelium and staining ingressing up the vascular walls of the trunk or the Ganoderma applanatum which was fruiting on the decayed/dysfunctional butresses.

Tree was next to a vehicle using footpath, within secondary woodland.

My thoughts were that the rp is/was suffering compaction issues, the associated roots & butressed have died (hence the presence of up to 6/7 G. app fb's acting as sapros) and then the Tree having become stressed has become host to Armillaria.

Or it could very likely be t'other way abouts :confused1:

Anyhows, then went to carry out a Digi micro probe on an Ash which has been hosting Perrenioporia fraxinea (multi layered, round a third of the circumference) which I then found was also hosting a new (not witnessed on this Tree before) Ganoderma coming out to the side of the Perrenioporia.

The G would appear to be fruiting out of a relatively sound butress.

Will wait to see what it developes into before tackling what it's up to :sneaky2:

DSC03658.jpg.eb1c4a230a0b18b4462077cc370c4b4d.jpg

DSC03656.jpg.8796522ffa4752773b397e6ad1fee2fc.jpg

DSC03660.jpg.69ff63b9e7703463717f8bf3865a5eee.jpg

DSC03659.jpg.b1d8a024cda571a8f25d8f5d4a7ae827.jpg

DSC03664.jpg.e9baef1ffd84c8e9c65e181d025a364f.jpg

Nice pics David,

Talking of crown disfunction, it looks like it's been reduced? It also looks quite dense for an ash - is it a lot of epicormic growth?

Does it have a slight lean away from the path or is it just the way the camera has been held?

Nice pics David,

Talking of crown disfunction, it looks like it's been reduced? It also looks quite dense for an ash - is it a lot of epicormic growth?

Does it have a slight lean away from the path or is it just the way the camera has been held?

We reduced it about 6/7 years ago, back when I was relatively new to fungi & tree management.

Probably akin to 50% crown reduction based on knee jerk reaction to a fungi that I probably didn't even positively Id at the time.

(ftr, I'm not suggesting Perenniporia is Ok to leave unmanaged )

There is a slight lean away from target.

Will either thin or reduce a little further, depending on what the dmp results show.

Do you think it could be that the vigourous growth resulting from the reduction, might be offseting the usual symptoms of dysfunction?

If that is the case, I'm not sure if it's good, bad or not relevant in terms of how the tree deals with the fungal decay...:confused1: