Ganoderma resinaceum - growth rate and ecology

Kveldssanger

I'm starting a thread on the lacquered bracket (Ganoderma resinaceum) as it's probably my favourite fungus. From an urban tree management perspective, it's one I see quite a bit, and therefore get to track the growth rate and host range of this species quite well. Obviously, this thread isn't limited exclusively to my finds, so by all means if others can tally in with images, rates of growth, peculiar hosts, and so on, then that'd be stellar.

I'll get the first few uploaded today and tomorrow, so hopefully this topic can gain some momentum.

If there are any scientific papers on this fungus, please also link them. I know Schwarze has done a bit of research into the fungus' pathogenicity, as have a few other researchers.

:thumbup1:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To begin, below is a series of three sets of photos taken showing Ganoderma resinaceum on holm oak (Quercus ilex). The holm oak itself is certainly very old, and judging by its size compared to ones nearby that are just under 100 years old, it's likely at least 200. However, the confluence of stems on a short stem may skew the girth:age ratio slightly. It has been heavily pruned in the past, perhaps because of the fungal decay, and sits just behind a town centre.

The shots below were taken on 5th July 2016. I would estimate that the sporophores had been growing for 1-2 weeks, at this point.

Ganoderma_resinaceum-Quercus_ilex-1.1.jpg.39f0d0bc90c4a800b1e3cda8e950dd73.jpg

Ganoderma_resinaceum-Quercus_ilex-1.2.jpg.182f8d574831e00fc29d56d751d8fffc.jpg

Ganoderma_resinaceum-Quercus_ilex-1.3.jpg.52f50dd15b0d0c54804c56547ed83c0e.jpg

Ganoderma_resinaceum-Quercus_ilex-1.4.jpg.db1c5197bb54c7aae5ada6d19ca568ca.jpg

Ganoderma_resinaceum-Quercus_ilex-1.5.jpg.718782c072ce59a6595461951f69300e.jpg

Had it come up on a sugar or silver maple (get muddled) over the course of the last 2 months. The tree is now dead, having been poisoned several years ago. It's erupting from both drill holes as well as elsewhere around the base. It's a quick mover by the look of it. It should be down in a month so will try and get a pic of the base once it's felled.

DSC_0678.jpg.0e73a8821cec537685f5dc39ff4aea84.jpg

That looks like silver maple (Acer saccharinum). That could indeed be resinaceum, though the distinct brown to white contrast doesn't rule out Ganoderma australe in my opinion. Resi usually has a slightly tanned edge, as can be seen in my shots above, though this could just be spore-covered resi brackets making it appear as if it is australe.

I have seen G. australe on silver maple before - twice.

Had it come up on a sugar or silver maple (get muddled) over the course of the last 2 months. The tree is now dead, having been poisoned several years ago. It's erupting from both drill holes as well as elsewhere around the base. It's a quick mover by the look of it. It should be down in a month so will try and get a pic of the base once it's felled.

525% not resinaceum. If only there was a delete post button! :sneaky2: