Planning new wood

Hi All

I'm shortly hoping to be in a position where I will have around 5 acres to plant as woodland. Some of it will need to keep the house supplied with wood for the aga/fires. Thinking 5-7 tons a year.

I would like to have a diverse range of trees and will be putting a legal covenant on the new wood so it stays a wood.

I'm reading lots of poplar to produce firewood, but what others and when should they be planted etc

In addition what machinery would be crucial for management, im thinking a minimum some sort of firewood machine. I have a dexter tractor what about a log trailer and crane etc ?

As retirement is coming up next couple years I'm planning on doing the majority of work myself, I have a generous budget and want to do the job properly so all suggestions gratefully received!

Donnk

There are several good books about planning and planting a woodland, I like Ben Law's book although it is aimed at much more than producing firewood.

My first thought would be tree protection, pointless planting loads for deer/rabbit fodder! Personally I'd go for a good quality deer fence and rabbit control so less need for tree guards.

I would also worry more about the initial weed control rather than harvesting for the first few years.

As for tree species I'd plant as good a mix as possible to minimise the risk of diseases wiping out half your woodland.

Hi All

I'm shortly hoping to be in a position where I will have around 5 acres to plant as woodland. Some of it will need to keep the house supplied with wood for the aga/fires. Thinking 5-7 tons a year.

I would like to have a diverse range of trees and will be putting a legal covenant on the new wood so it stays a wood.

I'm reading lots of poplar to produce firewood, but what others and when should they be planted etc

In addition what machinery would be crucial for management, im thinking a minimum some sort of firewood machine. I have a dexter tractor what about a log trailer and crane etc ?

As retirement is coming up next couple years I'm planning on doing the majority of work myself, I have a generous budget and want to do the job properly so all suggestions gratefully received!

Donnk

Poplar is crap firewood very low heat output you would be better off with sycamore (fast growing and reasonable firewood) You have missed the planting season this year usually between October and April for bare root trees. (Check out ashridge trees website for stock ) Plant mixed species (depending on soil type) and consider other uses for your wood, ie chestnut coppice to produce your fencing stakes a few hazel mocks to produce bean sticks and kindling , and grow these among your standard trees (oak ,beech ash (be careful of ash dieback) ) if you aim to grow timber you will produce your firewood from the poor quality trees and the branches of the good trees also put in some soft wood areas the improve the bio diversity (evergreens are good winter wind breaks and roosting /nesting habitat ) consider a native hedge mix for the boundaries to help keep the wind out and improve the habitat for birds etc. Could consider a small pond area ,and keep some open glades and encourage the shrub layer (flowers /insects etc). Firewood is merely the bi product of a well managed woodland. As for machinery if you are only needing 5 to 7 tons per year I would only invest in a hydraulic splitter ( pto driven pump one as your dexta oil flow will be very slow )and a good professional chainsaw still or husky ( worth doing nptc chainsaw training if you haven't already ) as for handling your timber trailer cranes are exellent for taking the strain out of lifting and shifting stuff but can be quite expensive especially for a small woodland. The APF forestry show is in september most machinery manufacturers from Britain and Europe will be there you should go. Also the arb show (confor woodland show) is in June you might get some deals there ,its at westonbirt arboretum you can walk the arboretum and get some ideas of the trees you want to plant. Sounds like a really interesting project wish you luck with it. Thanks nick

Looking at your other thread I would have thought you want some short rotation coppice and for these I think willow and poplar are the ideal species.

Think a member on here called Marko planted up coppice just a few years ago and was having good results from willow. If he does not comment on this thread might be worth messaging him.

Edited by Woodworks

How about some photographs of the site? It should people give more useful feedback?

My initial thoughts are:

If you plant the site with trees no future owner can just cut them all down without going to the Forestry Commision. Normally a felling licence would require the owner to replant. It might be an idea to speak to the FC before you spend thousands on legal covenants.

What are the existing fences like? If they are good you could make your site deer/ rabbit proof and not bother using tree tubes.

What is the grass like? Is it overgrown? If it is there are likely to be. A lot of voles, those critters love nibbling trees....

If the site is overgrown I'd try and get a farmer to graze it or mow it. Planting trees in long grass is hard.....

I love alder, they tend to grow really well. If also look at surrounding woods and see what grows well.

Without seeing the site I would say tubes and stakes are the way to go.

It's likely to be ten years before you get anything approaching log size.... I'd make sure you leaves rides in your wood for future access.

Dig a pond.... Watching pond life is magic :)

If you plant the site with trees no future owner can just cut them all down without going to the Forestry Commision.

Yes you can. A small and/or young wood could be clear felled under a felling exemption fairly easily. At a rough guess (based on my young woodland) it'll be 20 years or so before you'd exceed your exemption, longer if you start cutting while the trees are young.

A simple legal covenant wouldn't cost much, although I don't know how binding they are or who would enforce it when donnk is no longer around.

Photos and more info about the site would be good, I'd also try and talk to local owners of newly planted woods. For example, I'd love to plant more sycamore but down here the squirrels just hammer it so hard it'll not establish.