UK Forestry in serious trouble?

A few markers; cut and extract rates squeezed to the limit; cutter taking the hit as usual.

Lorry drivers actually admitting they're quiet...

2015/16 particularly poor for firewood for obvious reasons.

The phenomenal volume of used machines coming onto the market every day; mascus et al; even ebay has circa 10 harvesters on it at the moment.

Tractors; just not selling (so say the dealers).

Definately not favouring the big re-gen harvesting contractors.

Crike.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roadside prices are particularly poor at the moment, with standing prices not falling in line, hence cut and extract rates being squeezed.

I think there will be a big change coming up in the next few years, and not neccessarily for the better.

I am hoping that it is related to the up and coming eu vote and will stabilise slightly after , whatever the outcome!!

A good time to buy used machinery if you have the work for it though!

Roadside prices are particularly poor at the moment, with standing prices not falling in line, hence cut and extract rates being squeezed.

I think there will be a big change coming up in the next few years, and not neccessarily for the better.

I am hoping that it is related to the up and coming eu vote and will stabilise slightly after , whatever the outcome!!

A good time to buy used machinery if you have the work for it though!

Agreed :thumbup1:

A few markers; cut and extract rates squeezed to the limit; cutter taking the hit as usual.

Lorry drivers actually admitting they're quiet...

2015/16 particularly poor for firewood for obvious reasons.

The phenomenal volume of used machines coming onto the market every day; mascus et al; even ebay has circa 10 harvesters on it at the moment.

Tractors; just not selling (so say the dealers).

Definately not favouring the big re-gen harvesting contractors.

Crike.

I've never seen so many harvesters for sale. I saw a whole outfit for sale a little while ago. I've seen a lot of timber on the move but very few sites opening up. Seen a real downturn in the training side too.

Round here there have been several big wind farm projects which have involved clear fell of semi mature spruce.. This must have had an effect locally at least,flooding the market with pulp and biomass.. Maybe similar things are happening nationally.

I was in kronospan chirk earlier today, speaking to a bloke from there he was saying they are planning on taking less round wood, and more saw dust, and I`m guessing recycled material.

I know chip is not the best, but surely a reducing market for it is not a good thing.