Opinions/advice please.

jfc

Hi Guys and Gals,

I have been asked to prepare a quote to prune these beech trees, as many branches are overhanging the house. However I noticed a large areas of disease mid-stem (furthest left stem 2/3rd way up), probably a couple of feet in length and about 50% circumference of the stem. Please see attached photos (sorry the pics won't rotate corectly when uploaded) . Just to add a bit of complication the trees are TPO'd!

I am happy to remove all the branches but am not sure whether to remove the whole diseased stem. No obvious sign of fungi/fruiting bodies, but my knowledge of fungi is minimal.

Is the tree likely to heal itself or is the stem in danger of failing and need removed?

Any advice re making an TPO application for permission to work on the trees?

Cheers,

jfc.

DSC00132.jpg.482cee8850a10a08584d753414bd7d3c.jpg

DSC00138.jpg.26e34635227c7b81f5b797f07e660a5f.jpg

Edited by jfc

Is the tree likely to heal itself or is the stem in danger of failing and need removed?

Any advice re making an TPO application for permission to work on the trees?

Cheers,

jfc.

No its not going to "heal" its going to decay and fall

Fell and replace then keep the squirrels off the new tree, it might not have been them but they would be rounded up ammong the usual suspects

There's a few things to take in consideration if your removing a complete stem on a tree that mature ... I'm sure the T.O will fill you in but like what you already have it will lead to the trees being unstable , I've never seen a mature beech handle having a limb that big removed without causing major decay setting in un stabilising the rest of the crown.

You may be better massively reducing that limb to limit wound size and stress and then reduce the rest of the crown by say 25% to reduce the risk of wind sail failure by the dynamics of the crown being altered by the limb showing massive necrosis being reduced heavily... Or as tree quip says fell and replace ... I would like to see it have a chance though if it was mine to develop a new crown lower and more stable.

Thanks for your input matty.

So by massively reducing the stem do you mean to below the diseased area?

There's not much below it to make it viable, as the laterals below it are the ones that go directly over the garage. However I will look at it again and see if there are any viable reduction points. I had mentioned a crown reduction to the client as well if i have to reduce that stem so much.

jfc.

Above it , so say it's not supporting at least two thirds of the weight it is now, ... Eventually the stem will become hollow but it will take a long time for that to happen but if it's supporting a healthy crown with no great wind sale it will be a great veteran tree! , if you remove the limb entirely a tree that mature is never going to compartmentalise a wound that that big and I would give it 8-10 years before the decay from it severely compromises the remaining stems.. If you keep as much of the limb and can get a new crown to form it's the trees best chance of survival..

Hi Matty,

Sorry i have been so slow replying been really busy. Thanks for the advice, so reduce the laterals off that stem a lot to reduce the load bearing on the diseased stem, makes sense to me. This will help when/if the Tree Officer becomes involved.

Jan.