Fencing. Wire before the posts.

madbopper

Ok so I'm not sure if this will work in theory it should

So I have a run of about200 m of stock fence that is 1.4 m high the problem is it is going to be about 600 mm away from a hedge and the wire has to go on the outside of the posts which is the hedge side, each roll weighs 85 kg+

How would you roll out the wire ?

Or how about putting in the strainers running out the wire and tension up and then go along and thump in my intermediates,

What do you think.

Cheers Russ.

I personally would chap the posts first, there is the risk of ripping the rylock, with either a bump in ground or slight lapse in concentration, it's easily done,

I would just roll out and lift over 200 mtrs isn'tnt a big run ,is it straight or does it turn,

Also the posts should be on the livestock side, as mentioned before why do they need to be on inside?

I personally would chap the posts first, there is the risk of ripping the rylock, with either a bump in ground or slight lapse in concentration, it's easily done,

I would just roll out and lift over 200 mtrs isn'tnt a big run ,is it straight or does it turn,

Also the posts should be on the livestock side, as mentioned before why do they need to be on inside?

Do you mean wire on the livestock side so they can't push it off the posts?

To OP, we have knocked strainers in first hung net and tensioned fully then knocked posts in afterwards. But we do use top quality professional equipment. We don't tension with fencing pliers and knock in with a man killer. We have a post cap on our tractor mounted knocker.

I would space out all posts in their final position after tensioning the net and knock one in fully and staple up every so many first to stop the line drifting out, also it will help sort the height out.

i would always do strainers first, get them well in and stayed so all secure.

then run top and bottom plain wires whole length, get tensioned up a bit to show line for posts (dont know if a straight run or any turns but this will show you, may need to add a turner post if not straight at this time), knock all posts in using wires as a guide.

staple plain wires to posts, remembering not to drive staples in too tight, allow wire to move freely,

tension plain wires fully.

do stock net.

Ok better clarify a couple of things.

Wire on the out side of posts,as we are trying to keep things out not stock in.

Lifting over sounds good but the posts will be out of the ground by 1.5m so that's high and this wire is 80kg a roll so will be a bit of a struggle I reckon

I think I've worked out a plan I'm going to knock all the posts, and make a wire unroller like you have with plain wire. rather than pull the roll along unwinding as you go I'm going to fix the unroller in the ground and pull the wire off the roll passing it behind the posts as I come to them, if I pull of 50m in one direction and then do the same from the other direction and tension in the middle I think this will work fairly well.

Thanks for your thoughts.