Rails for my Alaskan mill

CCOS

The challenge that I have is that I cut lumber from 1m to 4m and yes I could just use a 4m ladder. But it not pratical to move around with a car so I made this rail system.

The main rail are two stainless steel tubes in section of 1.5m and som C iron to go across. The connection is made with a smaller tube inside and all bolted together.

I now have the choice of 1.5m or 3m or 4.5m rails and all fits into our stationcar.

20150810_204536w.jpg.132722ff3f1554e9c2ac0b67fb22119d.jpg

20150810_204601w.jpg.b70fd91f84361b0e74bfa4637e6b367e.jpg

20150810_204618w.jpg.c0011b2bea41d39af15ea52f8ffad734.jpg

The challenge that I have is that I cut lumber from 1m to 4m and yes I could just use a 4m ladder. But it not pratical to move around with a car so I made this rail system.

The main rail are two stainless steel tubes in section of 1.5m and som C iron to go across. The connection is made with a smaller tube inside and all bolted together.

I now have the choice of 1.5m or 3m or 4.5m rails and all fits into our stationcar.

That looks a good system, I assume that you have drilled and tapped into the rails. What diameter rails are you using?

Yes very nice,I to use a car and this would be perfect.But a few alterations needed to include the vertical mill.

A quick thought, fix a piece of plywood to the vertical mill and run the guide along the edge of the rail. A test cut would give you the clearance required.

That looks a good system, I assume that you have drilled and tapped into the rails. What diameter rails are you using?

Yes, I've drilled and tapped into the intertubes, would have welded but thats not something I can so I had to drill and tap.

The outer tubes are 30mm in diameter and around 1.5-2mm thick walls.

I didn't think about my vertical mill but I I would give it a try to see if I can fit it onto these rails also.

But first the last section and the into the forest to cut some fir into lumber. :001_smile:

Beautifully made and a good idea, but is it not a bit flexible? Thick and as heavy as possible is my experience of chainsawmilling rails. The last ones I made were from 8x4" timber beams.

It flexes but the connections with the indertubes almost cancel that out.

But the flex was my biggest worry when going ahead with it, but it has to be seen when I put it into use.