Dealing with concreted cavities

Shane

I went to look at a large and poorly oak yesterday.

Its between 6 and 7 ft diameter at the base and has, over the years shed 5 or 6 large limbs (up to 3ft diameter). All the cavities I could see have been filled with concrete.

About 30 years ago a bungalow was built 20 ft from the tree (in the direction the prevailing wind would take the tree).

The customer had a report from an AA consultant last year who recommended its removal, and the LA TO has agreed it can go, or be majorly reduced.

The customer wanted various prices -

Reduce massively to about 25 ft (to limit poss damage to bungalow)

Remove completely

Reduce to 15 ft monolith, or as low as poss above the concrete.

I can price up various options excluding the concrete issues but wondered what others do/say when concreted cavities of an unknown depth are involved - for the full removal option.

There is absolutely no chance of vehicle or crane access.

The bottom 15 ft looks like its riddled with concrete and I don't fancy knacking up a load of 48 inch chains.

The customer can't tell me any more about the concrete as it was done before he moved in.

Any suggestions?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to look at a large and poorly oak yesterday.

Its between 6 and 7 ft diameter at the base and has, over the years shed 5 or 6 large limbs (up to 3ft diameter). All the cavities I could see have been filled with concrete.

About 30 years ago a bungalow was built 20 ft from the tree (in the direction the prevailing wind would take the tree).

The customer had a report from an AA consultant last year who recommended its removal, and the LA TO has agreed it can go, or be majorly reduced.

The customer wanted various prices -

Reduce massively to about 25 ft (to limit poss damage to bungalow)

Remove completely

Reduce to 15 ft monolith, or as low as poss above the concrete.

I can price up various options excluding the concrete issues but wondered what others do/say when concreted cavities of an unknown depth are involved - for the full removal option.

There is absolutely no chance of vehicle or crane access.

The bottom 15 ft looks like its riddled with concrete and I don't fancy knacking up a load of 48 inch chains.

The customer can't tell me any more about the concrete as it was done before he moved in.

Any suggestions?

The only thing I can think of is get a good sized drill bit and drill a few test holes I know the trees a size but what elsa can you do.

Price the chains into your quote.

Yea but thats never ending . You could replace chains all day and get no whare if you constantly are in concrete . Got to use a disk cutter with a stone disk .

Give them a sensible price for the reduction and monolith and then a crazy high price for complete removal. They are unlikely to go for the fell then but if they do your quids in. No chance of getting a mini digger in with a corkscrew splitter on it and just split it standing? Now that I want to see!