'Nationally significant' tree crashes into Suffolk homes (RIP Caucasian elm)

Kveldssanger

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have visited that tree many times to admire, it had a substantial amount taken of the top a few years ago (looked awful in winter. Incidentally the cul de sac opposite was called hornbeam close after the tree as it was wrongly identified many years ago! Very sad to see it gone😢

Really sad news about this one, not far from my mum's house and used to climb to sit in the 'bowl' before the crown break when I was a lad! We were once sat in it and some Arbs rocked up for a bit of a general climb/admire of her; said they were 'tree surgeons' and I thought to myself, a tree-surgeon, like a surgeon to trees? That's not a real thing, pull the other one!

Does anyone know anything about where the timber is going? Or if there will be a feature made of the stump?

Thanks David, I worked there one summer in the early eighties, probably 1982. The significant trees I remember include the chestnut on the front lawn and the tulip tree behind the main house.

Being a local lad, the cedar and avenue at Forty Hall was also well known to me.

And I'll raise you with; https://www.rhs.org.uk › advice › profile

To be honest I don't know. Your article says tolerant, which I believe is different to resistant- although both terms are sometimesd used incorrectly. Someone wrote a really good post a while back on what resistance actually means, in regard to breeding DED resistant elms as it happens.

Anyhow, opinion appears to be a little divided even amongst the experts.

Try again, rhs.org.uk/plants/details?plantid=2067

Edited by Gary Prentice