Hell all,

Not sure if this is the correct place to post but maybe some one has some ideas

After laying nearly 200m of hedge this winter I still have the brash laid out with the plan to burn up with a tractor and grab in two fire sites on tin sheets, removing ash afterwards. Its for a conservation charity and they don't want any burning done after the end of March.

The ground has been pretty saturated since we finished the laying and doesn't look like its going to get significantly better before the seasons out to get a tractor in there.

Tracked chipper for a few days was an option with chipping it back into the hedge but natural England dont like that. Chipping into piles and removing with machine when its dry is an option but that's chipper hire, lots of labor and coming back with tractor and trailer.

I am thinking about a "fire sledge" that can be moved along the hedge burning as we go. Some thing that can be shifted with an atv.

I have heard of this being done before and sure I could work some thing out but has any one done this before and have any ideas? Pictures? Or any other ideas?

Thanks for reading,

Ian

I remember seeing a very simply arrangment of a 45 gall drum, mounted on an old wheelbarrow chassis, with the side cut away, but the drum lying on its back, with pickaxe sized holes in the bottom.

Being used to burn vinyard prunings, very simple and effective, the ash simply sifting out through the holes in the bottom when it was moved.

I had a 1000 gallon steel tank that was past its best. Cut the top off, burnt air holes about 4" big all around the sides, fixed it to a long chain on a tow hook on a 13 tonne digger with a grapple and trundled around a 200 acre SNH site in Aberdeenshire clearing gorse from a grassland SSSI. Worked a treat.

I've just finished a contract on a SSSI which required us to burn on a raised platform and remove the ash. Where we could handle the arisings with a tractor grab we constructed large platforms with wriggly tin but where it was too steep or too wet we had half a steel tank, a chain and a little David Brown. Worked a treat, hardly left a mark and all the ash was contained. Could have done with being a bit bigger and with some more air holes. I'll see if I can attach a pic...