Coppicing with a clearance saw

I've got quite a large amount of hazel to be cleared which is only 10-20mm in diameter as part of neglected coppice. These are areas cut in the last 2-3 years by a spar maker but it has now left a mosiac of different age hazel. I am cutting the larger diameter rods (stools) with a chainsaw but wondered if it would be possible to cut the smaller stuff with a clearance saw? Has anyone tried this and will it just leave a ragged finish? The stools are about 2 foot diameter on average

Thanks

Alan

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Iv done quite a few clearance jobs with a stihl back pack Flexi shaft with a clearance saw but I have only managed to cut stems up to 4 inch with step cuts etc but 2 men on 2 clearance saws one man dragging stuff out way to chipper we managed about 600 to 800 in day and chipped packed up and on way home by 4pm I would suggest if using clearing saw to buy the stihl blade that can be sharpened by a chain saw file any further questions please ask hope this helps

Tried it and not impressed. The large spinning blade gets choked up really easily. So unless you are clearing as quickly as you are cutting (not easy with a large strimmer strapped to you) then it's really slow. Might be better as a two man job. Always fall back on a 211 with 12 inch chain. Pick it up and put it down really quickly.

Are you using the younger rods for anything, if so I wouldn't use a clearance saw as you will damage rods/whips. What are you trying to achieve? Possibly you're trying to get a single, larger block of even aged stools? Couple of guys I know use those big, wooden handle, sprung shears, which will cut up to 2", leave a clean cut and save you a fair bit of bending, silky good clean cut but tedious and you'll end up with a hump if you do it a lot chainsaw the same but quicker but if your rakers not right wil b raggedy on smaller stuff! Hope this helps, have coppiced acres and acres of hazel so have a fair bit of experience😃