LD 1 and 2 and smart winch systems.

MattyF

Does any one own or have experienced using these systems?

Pros and cons please discuss.

Trying to get a feel for them or would you just go with the GRCS although I like the rope grab idea that's in place of the LD system and can see the advantages of the smart winch also but have no experience with them.

Thanks in advance

Can't comment on the other systems but I do have a grcs and it is just fantastic:) the smart winch looks just as good but costs a little more I think. I was buying a hole load of rigging stuff so it was a no brainier to buy it all from honeys in one go and get a good discount on the lot.

The GCRS is tried and tested and a great bit of kit for sure.

Not sure about the tirfor !! The thought of even carrying one across a site makes me shudder, then there is dealing with wire cable... There has only been a few times I've had to use them in trees and it's not some thing you want to repeat often,But it's a different tool than a GCRS altogether really.

• 1 year later...
Just bought the ld2. Received it two days ago. Looks like a great piece of equipment!

Have a question though: it should take rope up to 5/8 inch 16 mm, but tonight I couldn't feed my 16mm dynasorb neither through the self tailer nor the rope grab. ???

Any good ideas ?

I have the LD1. Absolutely love it. The groundsman I usually work with finds the spin lock clutch really useful for locking off loads. The LD1 Harken winch will only take up to 14'' diameter rope but to be fair I sold my 16'' rope as I only ever seem to use 12-14" rigging rope even for large dismantles.

Very glad I bought this device and will look at buying th LD2 at some point too.:thumbup1:

Although it states that the LD2 will take upto 16mm really the best is 14mm, I use Sirius and I personally think it's perfect. The break is great. Not really recommended to swop to a bollard with it on like Matty says, and to be honest you won't need to. It's there to be able to easily move from winching to lowering and a back up invade your rope comes off the winch. (Break is rated to 1ton) And in that aspect it really is better than the other brands. Another thing to consider is the ArbPro is the only CE marked device out of the options (that I know of) so that could help with LOLAR.