Stihl 260/1 lg. mt. 16" picco chain size?

Windthrown

Hello:

I have a Stihl 260 and a 16" 3/8 0.050 Picco large mount bar, and I need to know how many links there are in the chain for it. These bars were not sold here in the states on 260 or 261 saws, and were only sold here on the 024 for a short time many years ago. I read that there are Picco bar and chain kits available for the 261 in the EU (not sold here in the states), so I am wondering if anyone knows what size the chain (link count) is in that kit?

Thanks in advance...

As far as I know, a 3003 mount picco bar has to be a "Logosol" bar - and if so it should take the same number of dl as a standard 3/8" bar = 60 for a 16".

You should not use the standard 3/8" drive sprocket (rim) though, but Stihl sell both 7 and 8-pin picco rims that will fit your saw (mini 7-spline). Oregon does not sell those rims, even though they make them for Stihl.

Welcome here, ol' friend! :biggrin:

Edited by SawTroll

Hey SawTroll:

Thanks. Has the sun come up there this year yet?

I have a new old stock 16" picco bar made for an 024. It is a Stihl bar and has the old gear design on the side. It is PN 3003 000 6313. I think Stihl made them for Logosol here, but no one seems to remember. It may have been the other way around. Neither sells them here any more, but there are a few Stihl dealers that have them still in stock in the Midwest (where this one came from). I am setting up my 026 that I got from Lakeside Andy to run picco B&C for limbing. I have a Picco rim for it that I got from a Stihl dealer here years ago. It is marked P-7 and fits the 026 spline.

The German site raves about the 261 with the Picco B&C kit. Too bad those kits are not sold here in the states, obviously for liability reasons. People here keep putting these little bars on huge saws.

You are right though, Picco is also 3/8 itch, so they should be the same number of links. 60... now I need to find someone to sells the new PS Picco full chisel loops other than this Piltz idiot near where I live! He sells 18 inch Picco chains with 61 links! I have to imagine that is because he uses huge rim drives on super long bars. ;(

Edited by Windthrown

The German site raves about the 261 with the Picco B&C kit. Too bad those kits are not sold here in the states, obviously for liability reasons. People here keep putting these little bars on huge saws.

Those bars used to be sold with the 066 and 660 "Logosol" here, with 63PMX chain - not with any other saws!

The chains sometimes snapped when they were used by log house builders, as opposed to milling......

Make the above post 16 inch with 61 links (I cannot edit these posts after 10 minutes here). Piltz has some odd small and large mount Canon Super bars that he makes them for with 61 and 62 links.

Cannon dl counts often is different from "standard", some times very different - so much that I don't mention them except when they are part of the topic (now they are). :biggrin:

Cannon Supermini with the S1 (3003) 16" say 64dl in the most recent list I can find (mid 2014) - and those are slim bars, likely with 9 teeth noses - so likely at least 17" in reality. :sneaky2:

Ah, the Dark Season as my cousins call it in Norway. Here it is a balmy 61 deg. F. today (16+ C.), the sun is out and it is WARM! My cat is napping in the sun on the porch now.

Oh yah, I got a Picco chain loop spun up for my 026 this morning. Turns out that the local Stihl dealer here has a spool of PS Picco Stihl chain and he fitted the 16" bar and P-7 pin rim with a 60, as you predicted. I also got a 55 link loop of the same stuff for my 211. I am gonna have me a fine pair of Piltz HOT SAWZ, minus the Piltz, minus the big rims, and minus the 32" bars. I also got myself another 361 saw in the mail yesterday, so I have some test cutting to do this afternoon.

Edited by Windthrown