Selling Timber

I contacted a well known timber agent in July about selling some Norway Spruce to them for shavings. It was already roadside and I informed them that the stack was measured at 34.97 m3 without aking into account of air. The agent told me that he would estimate around 40% air, taking it down to 21m3 of timber. He told me that it would get £27.50 + VAT per ton.

As it was clearly not a full load, he told me he would visit the stack to look for himself. I gave him the address and access instructions and even gave his vehicle details to the land/timber owner. I'm not sure this visit ever happened. I also pointed out that there were other spruce logs 25 mile away waiting to be collected that the same agent had bought for shavings (We felled them so knew this was true) so a load could have been made up.

A week ago I had a text saying the price was to be knocked down to £25.50 + VAT per ton as the load had to be capped. Fair enough I thought so I agreed.

Earlier this week, I had an email from the agent saying that the logs had been collected, there was 16.76 ton and because of haulage, they would only pay £20.85 per ton.

I refused this on the grounds that they knew there would be this amount (21m3 left to air dry for 3 months whilst he arranged collection was never going to be much more than this), they had the opportunity to visit the stack and verify my measurements and that we had a deal at £25.50 + VAT.

The agent has come back with figures of sales, haulage and their purchace and said the he will not pay any more than that.

I personally think this is an absolute cheek as a deal is a deal. If they lose money on it, than that is their problem but they should honour the deal that I have in a text from him.

I am interested to hear from people who sell timber as to whether they think this is acceptable?

Thanks in advance,

Alan

If you have got prices agreed in writing or email, he doesn't really have a leg to stand on. Send him an invoice for the tonnage he says there is, at the agreed rate (as per the text or email) with a photo or screen shot of that agreed rate and give him 28 days to pay it. If he doesn't pay within the time then talk to a solicitor about it.

I'm no expert on these matters but I think that's what I would do.

I contacted a well known timber agent in July about selling some Norway Spruce to them for shavings. It was already roadside and I informed them that the stack was measured at 34.97 m3 without aking into account of air. The agent told me that he would estimate around 40% air, taking it down to 21m3 of timber. He told me that it would get £27.50 + VAT per ton.

As it was clearly not a full load, he told me he would visit the stack to look for himself. I gave him the address and access instructions and even gave his vehicle details to the land/timber owner. I'm not sure this visit ever happened. I also pointed out that there were other spruce logs 25 mile away waiting to be collected that the same agent had bought for shavings (We felled them so knew this was true) so a load could have been made up.

A week ago I had a text saying the price was to be knocked down to £25.50 + VAT per ton as the load had to be capped. Fair enough I thought so I agreed.

Earlier this week, I had an email from the agent saying that the logs had been collected, there was 16.76 ton and because of haulage, they would only pay £20.85 per ton.

I refused this on the grounds that they knew there would be this amount (21m3 left to air dry for 3 months whilst he arranged collection was never going to be much more than this), they had the opportunity to visit the stack and verify my measurements and that we had a deal at £25.50 + VAT.

The agent has come back with figures of sales, haulage and their purchace and said the he will not pay any more than that.

I personally think this is an absolute cheek as a deal is a deal. If they lose money on it, than that is their problem but they should honour the deal that I have in a text from him.

I am interested to hear from people who sell timber as to whether they think this is acceptable?

Thanks in advance,

Alan

Hi sounds a bit rough. I have just put a weigh link on my forwarder to avoid this sort of thing. Although at considerable cost i think that it will pay for itself time and again as i have been bitten in the past.

Cheers Andrew

Thanks in advance,

Alan

You've been had somewhat imo. 0.6 for spruce is low for starters; was it that poor form? Was it log / bar or what? Usually bar for shavings...

The agent sounds like the ol typical agents - always check for a fin halfway down their back. Don't deal with them again, feeding you proper BS.

Best POA - miss out the agent and deal with haulier / buyer yourself. I'm assuming by agent you mean individual not eurof et al

You've been had somewhat imo. 0.6 for spruce is low for starters; was it that poor form? Was it log / bar or what? Usually bar for shavings...

The agent sounds like the ol typical agents - always check for a fin halfway down their back. Don't deal with them again, feeding you proper BS.

Best POA - miss out the agent and deal with haulier / buyer yourself. I'm assuming by agent you mean individual not eurof et al

No, agent was working on behalf of large company. It was 2.4m lengths and I had put photo on a previous post when I was trying to sell it but but don't know if I can link the two threads.