Poorly Daily

Al Cormack

Driving back from kensington on Thursday and the engine started making a loud knocking noise.

Pulled over and AA rescued us.

I bought this truck the previous Monday, and the head had been rebuilt the year before after the timing belt jumped a tooth or two.

Took the timing cover off yesterday and all was fine, belt intact and timing marks lined up.

Took the rocker cover off and found this

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ATTACH]161958[/ATTACH]

One of the rockers was completely broken, a few others had come apart with needle rollers all over the place.

Took all the rockers off and fished out all the bits of metal I could find but missing 13 needle rollers and one big roller :eek:

Have now taken the head off and going to drain the oil and remove the sump to see if I can find them.

But worried as to what caused this to happen so called an Iveco mechanic I know. He came and had a look, saw the rocker cover gasket and said that's the cause - too thick, should be a thin one on the this engine! A thick gasket raises the camshaft too high above the rockers giving them too much clearance.

Was it black smoking at all he asked, yes it was - gasket caused that as well.

Just got to find the missing bits of metal, buy some new bits and put it back together.!

Driving back from kensington on Thursday and the engine started making a loud knocking noise.

Pulled over and AA rescued us.

I bought this truck the previous Monday,

Is there no warranty or come back from the guy that sold it to you Al ?

Bob

Is there no warranty or come back from the guy that sold it to you Al ?

Bob

Sold as seen Bob..

Trying to find out who did the head work last year and chat to them, but don't hold my hopes up.

Trucks only do 2k miss since the rebuild!

Afterbeiung away fro the weekend, this morning I drained the oil and removed the sump. Found 12 of the 13 needle rollers plus the one big roller in the sump, the other needle roller was hiding in the oil pick up pipe!

Relieved that I found them all. Took the cylinder head home and stripped the valves out to check they were niot bent, cleaned them up and put them back in again. Whikst doing this I found another needle roller - either this one or the one in the pick up pipe was left over from the head rebuild last year - I'd be worried if the mechanics do any repairs on the previous owners other vehicles!

Just got to get a new set of rockers, timing belt, cam shafts and gaskets etc, and should be back on the road. Oh, and oil!