Replacing wear pads

Dean Lofthouse

Had this week off to do some maintainance work on both my chipper and the loader.

Suspected that the wear pads were knackered on the extending boom for a while so haven't been using the extend option till I got chance to take the boom apart and look.

Good job I did and I happened to have to Nylon sheet in stock to make some new ones.

On the top of the inner boom at the back was a crappy little 3" piece of wear pad which had fallen off and got chewed up inside. The bloke I bought it from carried on using it like that and you can see the result from the photo.

Rather than doing a quick easy job and replace the small pad, I decided to fully line the top of the outer boom with a new pad to cover up all the scoring in the metal work. So instead on having wear pads on the inner boom they were fastened to the outer.

The job was extremely difficult having to reach 1m inside a small tube to clean, bolt, drill and fasten stuff but the result is much better. Nice solid smooth acting boom extension.

Hope it makes sense.

image.jpg.1c35f3213d7246c00db552fc7a9004f0.jpg

Edited by Dean Lofthouse

Good effort Dean I like to Fix myself when I can. It can be a headache at times. The multione isn't designed with maintainence in mind. Taking the floor panel out to check hydraulic dipstick etc. Also the one I get to use is used in blather during winter. Its tedious to get the mud out the axle brackets engine bay etc.

One of us is going senile Dean, I can remember you posting about this before...

so either its me and i've imagined it or its you and you have already done this job and just forgotten that you had...

Nice work all the same.

I posted pictures of it before Tom, when I stripped it to have a look and photographed the damage.

I loosely say "Nylon" sheet, it was a double barrelled name I can't remember which I bought specifically for the job, I foolishly never wrote down what it was called after buying it, my memory is crap :biggrin:

sometimes manufacturers get it totally wrong or are just tight when it comes to maintenance and design looks like a good job

I think design was definitely crap, they stacked two 6mm pads on top of one another instead of just using a 12mm piece. The two pieces just started sliding over the top of one another and eventually the securing bolts gave

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk