Jcb mini digger

Acg128

Borrowed it off someone I know for the day blinding how much you can shift around but one issue I was warned of was that it over heats this happened after every 30-40 mins of work annoying but as it's cost me 20 quid for the day I can't complain. Any ideas? All fluid levels fine.

Only a muppet carries on using a machine without investigating the cause, much less lends it out with a casual 'oh, watch out by the way, it overheats'....:001_rolleyes:

Radiator is the usual suspect. If you're going to do it do it properly and take both rads off the mounts and blow through from each side on both. With them out of the way you will also have plenty of room to check the fan belt tension.

Haha he can't use it himself no idea why he has it.. Neighbour to out yard. Reason it's been left is due to it apparently being the fan doesn't work and its a hard job.. His words once dropped back this eve. Got it for another day next week so may have a butchers myself. Cheers fellas.

If cleaning rad doesn t help, check thermostat isn't stuck shut too? Although I expect if it was that then it would overheat after 15-20 mins of work.

If I say something takes 40 minutes it was probably only 20! Easily checked??

I did notice a small plastic bottle size of 1 pint milk with a thin pipe to it with water in and one minute it was full the next it was 2 3rds empty?! The pipe that went into the top of it came from the rad and had a breather. How do you test the fan?

Does it actually over heat or is it just a faulty temp sender.

Could be chalk build up inside rad or dirt on outside of fins

If it has been over heating head gasket could be gone as well now

when its cold first thing remove rad cap and start engine and see if bubbles are coming up replace cap and see if it builds pressure within seconds before engine warms up.

When it over heats is top and bottom hose hot and same temp roughly.

I did notice a small plastic bottle size of 1 pint milk with a thin pipe to it with water in and one minute it was full the next it was 2 3rds empty?! The pipe that went into the top of it came from the rad and had a breather. How do you test the fan?

Sounds like an expansion tank. It pushes water into it when it's hot and sucks it back when it cools and it sounds like it is doing it's job. Check that the radiator cap is working and that you have the correct type.