Some planting questions (I should've asked long ago)

Further to this thread:

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/forestry-woodland-management/69371-first-post-planting-native-woodland-east-sussex.html

My trees have now arrived and I've started trying to plant a few (only 1,450 to go!)

However, I have a few questions before I continue:

1) for the trees I have been supplied with 1.2m Tubex shelters. Are these best buried in the ground or should I try and leave a gap to make it draughty to discourage voles/standing water?

2) for the shrubs, I've been supplied with spirals. The ones I bought myself a while ago have holes in them, these new ones don't - is that a good or bad thing?

3) how vertical does the whip need to be? Some of them tend to lean as I tread them in the slit. Not that it particularly matters if they don't grow completely straight, it's a "natural" woodland I'm aiming for

Further to this thread:

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/forestry-woodland-management/69371-first-post-planting-native-woodland-east-sussex.html

My trees have now arrived and I've started trying to plant a few (only 1,450 to go!)

However, I have a few questions before I continue:

1) for the trees I have been supplied with 1.2m Tubex shelters. Are these best buried in the ground or should I try and leave a gap to make it draughty to discourage voles/standing water?

Just push them firm to seal at ground level

2) for the shrubs, I've been supplied with spirals. The ones I bought myself a while ago have holes in them, these new ones don't - is that a good or bad thing? Holes will let more post planting herbicide through, however ventalation will be better for some species, for example beech and evergreens

3) how vertical does the whip need to be? Some of them tend to lean as I tread them in the slit. Not that it particularly matters if they don't grow completely straight, it's a "natural" woodland I'm aiming for

In a 1.2m guard don't worry they are going to bounce off the sides on the way up and out anyway. Any bends will thicken and straighten out as they grow

Enjoy:001_cool:

Google 'phototropism'. Sure vertical would be nice, but for a whip its not the end of the world if it isn't.

edit: i've saved you the hassle of google..

Phototropism is the growth of organisms in response to light. It is most often observed in plants, but can also occur in other organisms such as fungi. The growth or movement of a plant part in response to a source of light. The cells on the plant that are farthest from the light have a chemical called auxin that reacts when phototropism occurs. This causes the plant to have elongated cells on the farthest side from the light. Phototropism is one of the many plant tropisms or movements which respond to external stimuli. Growth towards a light source is called positive phototropism, while growth away from light is called negative phototropism. Most plant shoots exhibit positive phototropism, and rearrange their chloroplasts in the leaves to maximize photosynthetic energy and promote growth.[1][2] Roots usually exhibit negative phototropism, although gravitropism may play a larger role in root behavior and growth. Some vine shoot tips exhibit negative phototropism, which allows them to grow towards dark, solid objects and climb them. The combination of phototropism and gravitropism allow plants to grow in the correct direction