Site clearance question

beechhunter

Got a site to clear alot of small willow, birch, ash and alder also mixed in a couple of semi mature sycamore, ash, alder around the edge with a large open space in the middle customer has applied for planning for a storage yard. The problem is he wants them all down except some of the larger ones that have tpo,s but someone who owns a property bordering the site does not get on with my customer and will do anything to throw a spanner in the works. There is to much to fell with out a licence so i am looking for is some advice on how to tackle this and it needs to be done quickly before the council slap some orders on the bigger trees that are not already covered.

Thanks in advance

:thumbup:

I would check my advice is legal first, but it is wot i would do.

Would it be possible to knock the bigger semi mature tree over first so they cannot put a tpo on them, without a felling licence then either wait 3 months to knock the rest down or apply for a Felling licence.

I would imagine take an awful lot of small trees to make up to the felling licence threshold

You mention TPO and Felling Licence which shows you have an understanding of the law. Check that the TPO is neither Area, Group or Woodland first to be sure that you can remove the trees your client has asked you to. Also confirm on the FC website your volume of timber for a licence. No reason to rush into it for the money. Don't forget to get a nesting bird check (ecologists can do this) before you start. The laws have changed about bird protection and also bats have to be considered. You can't clear fell nowadays without lots of red-tape.

The tpos cover single trees only which are having nothing done to them yet. My 5 cube limit would be taken up by 4 of the semi mature trees. The way which i was thinking of doing it would be start at the end of one quarter and carry on at the start of the next quarter taking out the smaller stuff. But there would be some left still. any ideas would be much appreciated.

Edited by beechhunter

Got a site to clear alot of small willow, birch, ash and alder also mixed in a couple of semi mature sycamore, ash, alder around the edge with a large open space in the middle customer has applied for planning for a storage yard. The problem is he wants them all down except some of the larger ones that have tpo,s but someone who owns a property bordering the site does not get on with my customer and will do anything to throw a spanner in the works. There is to much to fell with out a licence so i am looking for is some advice on how to tackle this and it needs to be done quickly before the council slap some orders on the bigger trees that are not already covered.

Thanks in advance

:thumbup:

You client submitted a planning application with a red line around the site that includes all the trees on the site? If so no tree works can take place before the planning application has been determined. All trees are a material consideration once a planning application has been submitted. If the trees that your client wishes you to remove are shown for removal in the submitted plans once these have been approved then the tree works can go ahead.

Phone the duty planner for their opinion to confirm the above.

Your client should removed the trees before submitting the planing application.

Hi

Don't ring bark the lot. You could fall foul of the FC as they will see ringbarking the licensable timber as felling. Also a waste of time and the clients money so not good for your reputation.

Anything below 8cm diameter, (not 8inches), measured at 1.3m above ground level doesn't need a licence.

The planning application doesn't prevent you from felling, subject to the felling licence regime, the non-TPO'd trees.

I'd fell 5 cubic metre of licensable timber before 31 March, and any amount of non-licensable timber. I'd then fell my next 5 cubic metre of licensable timber 1 April or after, whilst continuing to fell non-licensable timber at my leisure.

Edward

My ring barking comment was tounge in cheek, your absolutely right!