What would you do with this tree???

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1388855277.712896.jpg.6d123d786f5637c3282252501502ee87.jpg

Pic one shows the tear which is 6ft up the trunk from the ground and the tear is 6-7ft in its self. A little under half the trunk diameter is left shown in pic 2.

Pic 3 shows the tree in its self with the fallen co dominant stem which has now been cleared.

The tree is located at the bottom corner of the property and where the tree stem fell was into the neighbours property luckily with no damage.

The tree in it self moves a fair bit in the strong winds we have and i fear that climbing it and dismantling the crown could lead to it failing :/

There is another pine same height approx 80ft that can be the main anchor point.

There is limited space to fell the tree in one. I was thinking to rig small sections down but am unsure if the tree can with stand the forces??

Any ideas??? Or what would you do? I am going back tomorrow to inspect it fully and determine what i would do. But want to find out if you guys have any better ideas

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1388855237.365133.jpg.6c7ade17e453758731ae9812830c8ae5.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1388855209.695924.jpg.356b860320ca1faa164cf13a607f4cd2.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Has a piece torn away, another stem?

Yeah, there were two stems and the left has failed and torn out as you can probably see in the first pic it was a compression union. The last 2meters of the stem when I cut it was completely rotten. :confused1:

I can't fell it in one as the garden is to small :blushing:

If its stood up to the recent gales I'd climb it, but that does not mean I'm recommending you do.

I was thinking to climb the pine next to it and get a good anchor point. Then spike the damaged tree and remove the crown in one with a rigging line to control the direction and the decent? :blushing: I fear that this may cause the main stem to fail :confused1:

Would you do this?

I would probably anchor into the other tree and then dismantle the crown in small chuck-able pieces, I very seldom rig any thing.

So anchor in the tree next to it and do cut and chuck to dismantle the crown.

Thank you Skyhuck for the help and the discussion I feel fully confident with that idea :001_smile:

Any idea on dealing with the pesky Ivy :thumbup:

Edited by A Pettersen-Firewood&Chip

Apologies, I never read it fully hence my short answer of felling it!

If its stood up until now I would climb it.

I never knew what a co dominant stem was until I joined this forum, I thought it was just a place for beasties to live.

Like Huck I very rarely rig anything, strip anything on the way up and if you feel knocking the top out will be a bit wobbly, do a spear cut and this will remove the top with as little force on the stem, then section it down.

If you feel safer roping in to the other tree crack in, think about what you are doing with the top first as your anchor line may get in the way.

I would probably anchor into the other tree and then dismantle the crown in small chuck-able pieces, I very seldom rig any thing.

Totally agree, should the tree fail the worst you will get is a Tarzan swing back to the safe tree and maybe have to change your underwear...get a good anchor in the other tree, spike it and remove in it hand held pieces...get it to a hight you can then fell from the ground..if you want to rig is it possible to Set up the rigging line on the safe tree next to it?