4 x 4 for the wife

Gray git

We are looking to change my wifes car (focus estate) for a 4x4 of some sort and have looked at a few options and have narrowed it down to a list of a few and would apreciate it if any1 has any imput good or bad about what we are looking at.

Mitsubushi outlander,

Landrover freelander 2 or 3. smalest we will go.

Kia sornto.

We have discarded the honda crv as back seets have very little space

Id have a dicovery but the wife is worried about its fuel consumption.

We want something that is more car like than my landys for moterway back and forth to hospital with my son but can handle the bad winter roades we get around here and we can pile the clan and kit into when we go away.

Any input apreciated.

Edited by Gray git

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One massive vote for the Freelander2, the worst thing Landrover did was saddle it with the name of the previous model and all it's issues!

I had one from new for my wife and in all honesty it never had a single problem in 5 years?

It was main dealer serviced every year, and apart from one set of tyres at approx 28,000 miles that was it.

A really nice vehicle and it would leave my Defender for dead on simple snowy/icy surfaces.

Eddie.

We are looking to change my wifes car

We have discarded the honda crv as back seets have very little space

CRV

Not sure about the latest 2012 ones onwards, but the last ones 2007-2012 have rear seats that slide backwards and forwards on runners, just like front seats do

Very useful feature, where you can either increase bootspace (seats in situ, not folded down) or passenger legroom and space

I'd settle for a late disco 2, last of the TD5's were good.

Trying to nudge her towards the outlander as like the look of them and feel well built.

The Kia felt ok but mixt reports about long term reliability as I'm looking at a 4-6 year old hopefully with lowish mileage as for the most part it won't do much mileage on the school run.

Alteri motive is I can steel it for pricing or can tow trailer/chipper for when I get volunteered to help a friend out in exchange for family lunch.

Honda crv fold your legs up great reliability and dealers. Toyota rav 4 reliable well made. Landrover discovery 3/4 great to drive lovely car trendy and sort after don't worry about the fuel consumption you won't notice that will cost more than the average mortgage per month to repair complete junk underneath.

Problem with the New rav4 is in anything more than a puddle you drown it as air intake is below the headlights as fatherinlaw found out.

So is the disco 2 I have a 53 plate done me really well but now really dated and heavy to drive the wife will hate you for it. Not heard about rav 4 problems if that's the only problem get it modified.