Pine Processionary Moth Treatments

ecodao

Hi there to all,

here in Portugal we have a big problem with Pine Procesionary Moths (Thaumetopoea pityocampa).

the Moth is not the problem but rather the caterpillars.

in small cases we remove the nests and install `collar` type traps.

this is not feasible on larger areas,

one of our clients is a Botanical gardens , and they have now got a small invasion for the last 3 years, so they have decided to use a chemical treatment

that is injected into the trunk , it then passes up into the needles, the caterpillars eat the needles at night , and so then die.

the only treatment i found info on is Foray 76B.

http://www.millstone.nj.us/Foray_76B.pdf

i am slightly concerned as i have heard bad environmental things about the treatment containing Bacillus thuringiensis as i have heard that it can pass into other animals and birds , and considering we have a beautiful bird out here called the Hoopoe that mainly eats the caterpillars it would not be good if it was in any way a danger.

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/northern/files/2011/11/hoopoe_crest.jpg

Are there any of our members who know about this subject ??

many thanks

Steve

Portugal

Hello Chap,

We too have this issue and coming in contact with these 'chenilles' is not amusing...

I once itched for 2 weeks and scratched myself stupid at night making my sheets marked with blood.

Frankly, I'm for felling pines and replanting with other species, starve the beasties out!

I won't climb if there is a serious infestation, it's not worth the misery frankly.

I use a MEWP if possible or simply refuse the work.

The nests are out on the ends of the fragile branches and if you can cut them off don't burn well at all! I cover them in diesel and burn them in an incinerator.

If you drive past plantations of pines you will see them in their thousands.

It's when they are in a clients garden the problems occur.

Pets, dog's and cats, children and even housewives putting out washing on a line where the caterpillars have passed along can have extreme reactions from necrosis of soft tissues like eyes, nose, tongue and lips on curious dogs to anaphylactic shocks and coma for humans.

I say fark 'em and fell the pines, their food source!

Ty

well Ty , sounds exactly like my experience over here, however over here they did not listen when they were told 10 years ago to do something about the Pine Nematode problem.

lets just say that they didnt listen and now all our Pines are dying , except the native Stone Pines. :-)

and now we are getting Eucalyptus plantations every where,

anyway ...back to the topic:

have you come across the chemical treatments that i mention in my OP ?

steve

I looked into hiring a B52 Bomber and dropping napalm, target bombing Southern Brittany's plantations.:001_tongue:

As a result I spent a week locked up in the American Consulate in Paris being water boarded and given electric shocks via my nipples.:blushing:

I've booked again for a week next year...:001_cool:

Felling is the way to go, removing the food source at...source.

That's my policy but DON'T drag brash close to your body!:thumbdown:

Ty

• 1 year later...

There are more birds that eats those Thaumetopoea pityocampa (tits - Parus; cuckoos, etc) There is a treatment that can be done by plane or with a tractor I think it acts inhibiting the growth of the caterpillars, I'm not sure the effects that have on others species. I think it should be done around October and its different from Bacillus thuringiensis, they are the diflubenzurão and Tebufenozida;

If it's not to many trees you can put a plastic with glue(poliisolbutadieno) around the tree, they are sold in some stores. And try to increase the birds that eats them with installation of bird nest

http://www.icnf.pt/portal/florestas/prag-doe/resource/doc/proc/proc-urb-2015.pdf

http://www.icnf.pt/portal/florestas/prag-doe/resource/doc/proc/proc-florest-2009.pdf

Edited by Chapim Azul

We have lots of these things in the Poitou Charentes. The local French are terrified and insist that the nests are burnt thee times to make sure the caterpillars are dead. They are like cockroaches in the fact they are so difficult to destroy, they literally march out of the flames and have to be kicked back in. We get a good pile of embers going then play a leaf blower on them to keep the heat there. This year with the winter being very mild there were reports of the caterpillars leaving the nests in January, not the usual February or March. The method that seems to seems to help is to place sticky bands on the tree trunks to capture them on their descent to the ground, then the birds will pick them off. If they get onto the ground they then burrow in and the cycle begins again. Even though the nests are empty there are still the fibres off the caterpillar bodies which will cause irritation if you come into contact. Ty Corrigan is right in that he says to fell and replant, it seems to be the only tried and trusted method. I always look in customers gardens the first time I go there to see if there are any pine with the nests in them as the ex pat Brits are generally unaware what these nests are and the inherent danger to pets and children. I always advise them to contact a tree surgeon to get rid asp.

" anaphylactic shocks and coma for humans."

Is there any verification; reported cases? I heard the same for OPM but never got confirmation; 1 dog was the total casualty list; maybe a cow or two...

I've seen industrial vacuum cleaners used for OPM, but what about a blowtorch?