Ultimate log splitter

Lowestoft Firewood

Don't think this has been asked before have tried to look. if it has please give me the link.

I'm wanting to build the ultimate log splitter. please can the more experienced log chopping arbtalkers give me some ideas of what the ultimate log splitter would be like.

i.e. vertical/horizontal , what wedge, what force, cycle time , method of operating, size etc. etc.

cheers in advance.

Don't think this has been asked before have tried to look. if it has please give me the link.

I'm wanting to build the ultimate log splitter. please can the more experienced log chopping arbtalkers give me some ideas of what the ultimate log splitter would be like.

i.e. vertical/horizontal , what wedge, what force, cycle time , method of operating, size etc. etc.

cheers in advance.

The type I like are the multi wedge type . Look at " Huge Wood Splitter 200 ton " 24 way wedge on you tube for an example . Not the best , I have seen others but this type of thing

Something that would deal with typical arb waste already disced up and split it into log sized pieces in one go would be where I'd be heading.

There's plenty of options already on the market for smaller diameter stuff into 6/8/10 or a bit more pieces, but to build something that would reliably handle say 24inch diameter, knotty rings of up to around 14" length into 20/30 pieces, I think would sell well.

The problem is that the stresses through the knife are huge in that type of system so it would tend to be fairly substantial and be strong enough to cope with bad grain without destroying itself.

There's a reason none of the mainstream manufacturers make one and it's not for lack of market :lol:

Surely for that sort of usuage Chris, one should be starting with a 6/10/13 tonne 360 excavator, with a suitable range of attatchments?, but primarily a pincer type splitter, mounted on a "steel wrist" for max manouverability, perhaps?

Ideally, in some way with a cunningly (but I dont know how) incorporated hydraulic drive harvester bar included, rotating so as to store up out of the way alongside the dipper arm when not needed.

Leastwise for splitting the type of material you describe.

Probably difficult to get high output though, perhaps this stuff is better run through one of the humongous Yankee/German tub grinders and turned into chip.

Or really really "ideal"

Design one with a optical/laser scanning system, backed up by software alogrithims, to recognise size and configuration of individual log, select optimum option of splitting knives, mechanicall/hydraulicly/automatically rotate log to best configuration, split, and either return to beginning of splitting cycle to repeat, if still too large, or split and make into firewood logs.

Might need to build a factory round it though, with the size and complexity.

OOps, dammn.

I fotgot, the Polish produce them already, fuelled by Vodka.

And they can be housed in a hut/cheap caravan.

Edited by difflock

Surely for that sort of usuage Chris, one should be starting with a 6/10/13 tonne 360 excavator, with a suitable range of attatchments?, but primarily a pincer type splitter, mounted on a "steel wrist" for max manouverability, perhaps?

Ideally, in some way with a cunningly (but I dont know how) incorporated hydraulic drive harvester bar included, rotating so as to store up out of the way alongside the dipper arm when not needed.

Leastwise for splitting the type of material you describe.

Probably difficult to get high output though, perhaps this stuff is better run through one of the humongous Yankee/German tub grinders and turned into chip.

Or really really "ideal"

Design one with a optical/laser scanning system, backed up by software alogrithims, to recognise size and configuration of individual log, select optimum option of splitting knives, mechanicall/hydraulicly/automatically rotate log to best configuration, split, and either return to beginning of splitting cycle to repeat, if still too large, or split and make into firewood logs.

Might need to build a factory round it though, with the size and complexity.

OOps, dammn.

There lies the problem - sure it would be a great thing, but it's likely to be prohibitively expensive for most peole to buy too.

Simple and reliable is probably a better route.

Set up next to the stack and start rolling the already cut rings onto a sideloader and shoving them through into a loader bucket or conveyor etc Maybe even load them onto the splitter with a machine if need be.

More often than not, big stuff gets ringed up on site because it's too big to lift any longer - on the whole it's this sort of sized stuff that takes the most time/effort to process in my experience. There's endless machines available for the smaller stuff.

dont make the same mistake i made make sure your pump is 2 stage or your stuck with a slow splitter if you only got a small engine but it suits me as i only split wood for my own use so single stage pump and 11 hp honda engine does me with a jcb ram cuts through anything but is a tad slow but runs at 3300 psi and pushes around 30/34 tons with a ground down forklift fork as the wedge running 3/4 bsp pipes