Which one canter or cabstar?

Scott Walker

Looking for some help in picking between the the cabstar and the canter. Currently run and old cabstar on v plate and shes been a cracking little truck bit slow and like to rust under the seats but thats about the only bad points. Now i have no experience with canters! how big are they compared to the new cabstars as I like the compact design of the cabstar as alot of our work is domestic. So any pointers views etc would be most welcome.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Owned a 2003 Canter since new, and a 2001 Transit since new, plus 2nd hand cabstar. If going for new I would get a canter. YES parts are pricey BUT, 1 exhaust on the canter after 120K and only mid and rear sections verses 4 on the transit. Parts pretty much = themselves in terms of cost and longevity but I like the lack of down time.

Turning circle is awsome on a canter for town work especially when reversing a chipper on the street, but they get stuck at a a mere whiff of muyd (the fourtrak is regularly out in winter to tow cantrer and chipper off a field).

Overall thge canter has been solid and very economkijcal to run. It behaves like a proper commercial truck so dont expect a ride like a car or transit. The big advantage over all the others is that with 2 ton on board, plus tip box and tools it still will not look overloaded. I know we all never over load but stick that on the transit or cabstar and you are asking to get pulled. Don't know if it is urban myth but was told by a canter dealer that the 3.5t used to be sold in same spec as a 5.2t for europe (the 6.3t does have bigger brakes and springs) until europe was unified in weight classes. I knoiw mine regularly hauls way more than the transit or pprevious cabstar.

True the customer service is pretty crap once they have your money, but thats the auto trade for you! Hope this helps

ps southern commercial bodies in sussex do very good conversions for chassis cabs

Owned a 2003 Canter since new, and a 2001 Transit since new, plus 2nd hand cabstar. If going for new I would get a canter. YES parts are pricey BUT, 1 exhaust on the canter after 120K and only mid and rear sections verses 4 on the transit. Parts pretty much = themselves in terms of cost and longevity but I like the lack of down time.

Turning circle is awsome on a canter for town work especially when reversing a chipper on the street, but they get stuck at a a mere whiff of muyd (the fourtrak is regularly out in winter to tow cantrer and chipper off a field).

Overall thge canter has been solid and very economkijcal to run. It behaves like a proper commercial truck so dont expect a ride like a car or transit. The big advantage over all the others is that with 2 ton on board, plus tip box and tools it still will not look overloaded. I know we all never over load but stick that on the transit or cabstar and you are asking to get pulled. Don't know if it is urban myth but was told by a canter dealer that the 3.5t used to be sold in same spec as a 5.2t for europe (the 6.3t does have bigger brakes and springs) until europe was unified in weight classes. I knoiw mine regularly hauls way more than the transit or pprevious cabstar.

True the customer service is pretty crap once they have your money, but thats the auto trade for you! Hope this helps

ps southern commercial bodies in sussex do very good conversions for chassis cabs

our 08 plate is a PITA, engine management issues that even the dealer cant stop, we have had to learn to live with it now, occasionaly goes into limp mode 2k revs and lower only, is useless for an arb truck

Like lots of things they have over complicated the engine management, but no worse than ford charging £1200 for a new fuel pump and mapping!! The 2005 canters (facelift after the one we have) seam to be the best. I knoiw a few arb guys with 6.3t and 3.5t after buying on my recomendation and they are content. Madly mitsubishi are now only doling the 6.3t in 4x4 which is £35k ha ha ha I wish.