A bit of harvesting in France

Big Ben

Just had a couple of days over at my parents place in Correze to witness the trees being taken down and removed. Really interesting to watch and quite satisfying to see that the pros get it wrong( couple of trees fell wrong way) Here are a few pics, just out of interest.

9077665348_0e58242dcc.jpg

9075438343_8f2ca3dac3.jpg

9077672982_1e6eccbafa.jpg

Heres my little mate, Ludo!

9075441321_38e9afa260.jpg

9075439699_b9e08d19c3.jpg

The old dears, see my Dads mind going here as to how much money he has coming.

9075442865_0138a256f2.jpg

The local mayor wouldn't let them use the track for a while as it was a bit wet, but they found where the source(spring) was and its like this for a good 200metres.

9075470157_f136269767.jpg

This Lime tree was a bit too close to the house and leaning the wrong way. They gave it a good shove down the hill as one of the chaps cut it.

9077697248_e90cfb34ce.jpg

Me and my ARB dog. Clearing out some of the decent wood (oak,silver birch) before the bulldozer comes in.

They are going to clear about 3 hectares so should make a nice field. I think in total they took 420 Douglas fir and a lorry load of chestnut. Don't know of the going rate for wood here but the old chap is getting just under €20k.

Does your Dad know that when forest is transformed into pasture anything over 2.5hectares attracts sociale charges payable to the MSA...?

I don't know how much exactly but it may be around 350euros+ per year for 3 hectares.

I've just been watching a HUGE swingshovel about 17ton rip out stumps and roots before putting them in a 30m3 skip.

Not my job but around the corner on a building plot.

He did 30 decent stumps in 2 hours!

What are the dozer guys doing with the 420+stumps?

I think he said about €1200 a hectare, will let him know about the change of use. If it is 2.5 and over I would think he might re plant half a hectare or so. They originally wanted to just put the waste in two long lines 14 metres apart, got them to push it all to the boundry just the same as other neighbouring land has had done.

The big ones were cut to 14metres and going for carpentry, anything with too many side branches will go mainly for chipboard and pallet making. Dad kept the decent stuff for their own use and have left some of the oaks,birches in certain places as they intend to recreate a bit of a park with forest round the edges. Will be nice when its done. Just a right mess at the moment.