training courses in France?

Paul in France

Does anyone know of training courses in France that would teach me chainsaw use and maintenance and tree felling - I think the equivalent of CS30 and 31 if I've interpreted right. Alternatively someone working here who could give me some training. I've been managing with hand tools so far but am still thinking of going mechanical. I don't expect to be doing paid work in the field so don't need certificates but would like to be as capable and as safe as possible. By the way as you probably know France is a huge country and I live in the south west in a district called Le Gers (Departement 32) so distance is an issue.

From my experience here, there is no chainsaw ticket, so I doubt you would find a course. I was advised to not give training in chainsaw use for leagal comeback reasons, but have been asked many times by expats in my area, that use a saw in much the same way as you have mentioned. You are going about this in the correct way, hats off to you for your sensible attitude. You may find a course in the UK to be the safest way. If you find yourself in Normandy pop in for a cuppa, and you can "practice" in my yard.

hi

i know of a lycée in Pontivy in bretagne (56) that do climbing and chainsaw courses. though that is a long way from you. you could also ask your MSA office if they have any courses organised in your area as they do run them sometimes for free. you dont get a certificat but you do get some useful knowledge. with your MSA you are granted 8hours per year towards doing a payed certificat (formation) this accumulates year on year.

Paul, your better off booking yourself into a course back in blighty.

There are many good colleges and training organisations and the standard of training is higher than France is this trade.

Without a really decent level of French you would be all at sea on a course even if you found one locally. The college Breton boy speaks of offers only 9month courses (last time I contacted them) and if it was so easy to get trained here in France Breton boy would have his climbing tickets by now...

What you probally need are the 2 most basic certificates in chainsaw use and maintenance small tree felling and crosscutting.

It would only take you a week including travel to obtain them back in the U.K and you can stock up on decent tea and ginger biscuits at the same time.

Kind regards

Ty

I Have helped a pensioner out with the basics.

What's that handle that wobbles at the front for?

Chain brake mate

My farmer friend sharpened my saw for me but its still not that good.

That's because he has taken your depth gauge down and not sharpened the cutting edge.

I can spend a morning doing my own basic maintenance and chin wagging.

I always end up ordering extra bits when I do an order from Jonesie for the said pensioners.

I would get a bottle of pino and a cake form a grateful wife that doesn't like hubby using a chainsaw.

It passes the time and is good for customer relations.

Edited by VTS
crap grammar

The best advice has been said.

Go back to the UK. Get your 30, 31

Unless you have someone with you that knows the dangerous end of a chainsaw and can pick faults with how you use it, you will never learn how to use it safely.

Paul, your better off booking yourself into a course back in blighty.

There are many good colleges and training organisations and the standard of training is higher than France is this trade.

Without a really decent level of French you would be all at sea on a course even if you found one locally. The college Breton boy speaks of offers only 9month courses (last time I contacted them) and if it was so easy to get trained here in France Breton boy would have his climbing tickets by now...

What you probally need are the 2 most basic certificates in chainsaw use and maintenance small tree felling and crosscutting.

It would only take you a week including travel to obtain them back in the U.K and you can stock up on decent tea and ginger biscuits at the same time.

Kind regards

Ty

the collage does smaller 3 to 5 day courses. i was booked onto one for a climbing ticket last year but they managed to book me onto the wrong course and the one i wanted had already passes. i'll be looking into it again this year. last year the courses where between about 400 and 900euro, depending on the course.

Le Gros Chêne - Pontivy - Etablissement Public Local de l'Enseignement Agricole - Lycée, Centre de formation professionnelle, Exploitation agricole, sections sportives : football et Canoë KayakSommaire > Le Centre de formation > Secteurs d'act

but yes you would need a good level of french to do one of these courses.

Thanks all. Thought about going back to UK to do it. Had an involvement with Houghall at Durham in a previous non-arb incarnation and found out yesterday they do CS30 and 31 for about £700 the two.

Only thing is as they are short courses they don't schedule them regularly and wait until a max of 4 people are interested and then run them. Understandable approach but a bit more difficult for me to arrange. Still an option though. Has anyone here used Houghall and what are your thoughts about quality etc

Sensible comments as always guys - particularly about the language - can just about order a meal without major mishap but what is French for sprocket:001_unsure: