Billet Rolls

Float

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very popular on the continent I believe. In the Uk however I can't see much of a market for it as people won't appreciate the reduction in moisture that billeting provides and therefore if they've a mind to cut their own then they will just buy a bit of cord and get the axe out.

As I slowly get organised in respect of firewood production, I am fairly well set in the notion of going down the Continental route, why re-invent the wheel after all>

All I need is a strapping Gizmo and to fabricate a semi-circular frame with hydraulic closing top section(s) to clamp/force the billet nice and tight and round, then strap it up and then onward mechanically handle with a agricultural round bale fork, on a forklift mast.

I reckon the strapping has to be cheaper than vented bags?

I suspect this might also be a way of selling to those who fancy cutting their own sticks with a chainsaw.

Since I would be using Polywhatsit strapping, they simply cut the still strapped bundle to length as desired when they get it home.

Then cut the straps, worth a try and it will cost me no extra, or I run the opened billets through my wee cross cut saw.

My only as yet unsurmountable problem is getting the bloody trees out of the Moss down an unpaved peat rodden, generally only get about 4 weeks in Feb or March to do so.

I will admit I am better at theorizing than actually doing:blushing:

But today I got the SolarBayer log boiler jury rigged and working,absolutly 100% despite a totally disfunctional, and therefore bypassed, mother-board.

I'm not an electrican, but!:thumbup: hey its only 230 V.:lol:

I was asked about this recently for a guy who has installed a boiler that would take the billets, problem was he doesn't have storage so would need small regular deliveries. Nice idea though if you have the client base to justify the kit.

• 6 months later...

Since I have now finally got my last years randomly stacked billets "redd-up".

I am festering as to how to build my billet bundler.

I reckon the cheapest binding method is some sort of hydraulic clamped top section to squeeze the billet firm and round by crushing any splinters or snags.

Opening , topping up and re-closing as necessary until I get the hang of the required "overcharge" to allow for consolidation.

Then simply tying with 2 runs of 6mm/8mm blue polyprop rope (hitched)

Three point linkage mounted with hydraulic tip out/push out.

Disappointed no such gizmos or contraptions at the Irish Forestry show.

Also almost no log boilers, leastwise gasifying types.

cheers

m

Thank you Broonie, a very good place to start, if nowt else for a couple of cheap 2nd hand rams.

Though I had been thinking (after typing my last and dozing after Sunday lunch) of a couple of choker chains bolted to a double acting hyd Ram at one end and tother end(s) notched into a slotted bar.

To allow for adjustment.

To crimp the top half down.

KISS an all that.

Cheers

M

Edited by difflock

Yes,

But I reckon the bundles will need consoildated.

I might even try a HD rachett strap in the first instance, with 2 rachetts on the same strap to provide more take up for the slack.

Before securing with HD baler twine (thanks Mr Posch) or thin blue rope

Anyway i reckon any of those bought contrivences are too dear since I CAN fabricate better (eventually) my-own-sel.

Chainsaws an PTO 3 point linkage mounted winches are an entirely different kettle of fish