090 and Alaskan Mill

Andy Collins

Todays little job, milling a Robinia we felled a couple of weeks ago. I've milled it to 2inch thick planks. I ground the cutters back to 10degrees, considered removing every other cutter, but not sure if it would have gained much though. The 090 is perfect for this kind of work, loads of grunt to keep on pulling through the timber. Im plkeased with the outcome, in particular Im pleased that Im physically able to do this kind of work once more. The top cut I've made into a monolith for the garden, the client had the majority of the timber for garden furniture, i had one 10ft x 2ft plank for a (eventually) mans garden table, suitable for men drinking from tankards and slamming them down waiting for the serving wench to serve more ales. :001_smile:

monolith2.jpg.ea03f9218899a0e4f96f8c6c550f43d0.jpg

monolith1.jpg.1481d3512afd90921ef4f75b0f8f6590.jpg

mill4.jpg.287615c01e0ba63a5a08ebf93d6839f4.jpg

mill3.jpg.4a3edc6dfa6e288b331cfcd44dea0d21.jpg

mill2.jpg.e6199d009f4688fb202dc64078a29f54.jpg

mill1.jpg.2ff31927e5aeaae42ece5a97b7a81164.jpg

Nice bit of milling. Andy

I have a confession to make:blushing:.

It must be nearly two years since I bought my mill and I haven't used it yet. Threads like this remind me that everytime I see a decent bit of timber I must learn to resist the easy option to ring and process it into firewood and put the mill onto the big saw and do a bit of planking.

This winter when things get less hectic, the mill has to come out.

Great to see you out milling Andy, and I applaud your efforts in self sharpening your ripping chain. I've only ever once sharpened from standard to 10% and it's an endevour!

However, if you get the opportunity to get a genuine ripping chain (I'd highly recommend the Granberg chain), you'll find that the quality of cut hugely improves. That said, I've never cut Robinia, and the degree to which the chain will score the timber varies from timber to timber (Elm and Oak are typically quite smooth - coarser timbers like ash and poplar have a harsher cut).

Jonathan

I'd second the comment on skip tooth. I think it's something about high torque, low revs saws that it works particularly well with - you can take the rakers right down. It's what I have on the 076 and it's much more effective.

Alec