Sick Horse Chestnut's.

skyhuck

I have looked a quite few HC's that are doing very poorly, very sparse canopies with small leaves on the lower branches and even smaller leaves the higher you look.

Some of the trees were showing signs of bleeding canker a few years ago, but are not showing many signs, if any know.

Are they suffering from the affects of having had the BC, or is it sign of something else??

Cheers Dave :001_smile:

Chestnuts are generally suffering everywhere, the HCBC can kill a tree off in a couple of years and doesn't necessarily show symptoms year on year. Cameraria ohridella isn't helping either but that alone won't kill the tree.

If it's as you say it is the outcome doesn't look good but without being there I'm not going to say 100% that it is HCBC. Plus the weather hadn't helped this year either.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Yes some of these had the classic signs of HCBC, black/rusty looking oozing and some splitting of the bark, 3/4 years ago, but have since shown good signs of recovery, the splits have been covered by reactive growth and there is little sign of oozing now.

What worries me is the leaves are so small that they can not be feeding the tree very well at all, so there chances of recovery seem very poor :thumbdown:

So far I have advice watching and waiting, in the hope that next spring bring better leaf cover. I am also going to check for buds once the leaves start dropping.

I just hope they don't start shedding limbs before then.

There was a large HC I did a light thin on in Didsbury Earlie this year that a free years back had signs, and ailments of HCBC, someone (don't know who) removed the lessons with a blade, was in good nick when I thinned it and believe it still is

There is hope for some trees, just not most

Sent from my Galaxy S2

I have looked a quite few HC's that are doing very poorly, very sparse canopies with small leaves on the lower branches and even smaller leaves the higher you look.

Some of the trees were showing signs of bleeding canker a few years ago, but are not showing many signs, if any know.

Are they suffering from the affects of having had the BC, or is it sign of something else??

Cheers Dave :001_smile:

These are common symptoms with long term bleeding canker, have the long strip cankers/necroses shown yet with the ribs developing in a almost if not completley helical fashion?

The trees may be particularly affected by fungal leaf blotch aesculus guignardia plus the leaf miner - leading to brown shrivelled leaves and early defoliation.

I wondered about leaf miner, but I did not think we had LM in the Northwest?

Some leaves appear damaged or eaten, but they are also much,much smaller that typical HC leaves.