Leaf Spot on Wild Cherry - causes and treatment please?

forestfaun

Hello all -

A new poster to the ArbTalk forum here. I am generally speaking a forest manager, but have been asked to look at some Wild cherries in the garden of a neighbour as a favour. The leaves on said cherries have been "curling up and dying" - my first thought was bacterial canker but they had not seen any resin bleeding or oozing so had to rethink that one. There are some 9-10 trees in their garden infected, with a small Rowan close up underneath one of the said trees also showing some signs of an infection. Some pictures here:

photo.php?fbid=10151024414843485&set=a.10151024409278485.452920.504388484&type=3&theater

photo.php?fbid=10151024419368485&set=a.10151024409278485.452920.504388484&type=3&theater

view of the whole tree:

photo.php?fbid=10151024418093485&set=a.10151024409278485.452920.504388484&type=3&theater

It seems so far from the reading I have done on this website and elsewhere it is not bacterial canker or any environmental factors, such as poor drainage or soil conditions. The only thing I can seem to find which matches is something called leaf spot - link to RHS site here

The only advice for treatment of this condition seems to be to remove as much foliage as possible to reduce pathogen / inocculum levels and to possibly treat the tree with a copper fungicide to limit the spread.

Does anybody have experiences with this or similar diseases, and can you advise on the effectiveness of above treatments? Any advice or differing diagnoses much welcomed.

many thanks,

Luke

Edit - the links to pictures above appear to be broken - can anyone suggest where to post images to make it easy to share them online? Many thanks

Edited by forestfaun
image links were broken

Hello all -

A new poster to the ArbTalk forum here. I am generally speaking a forest manager, but have been asked to look at some Wild cherries in the garden of a neighbour as a favour. The leaves on said cherries have been "curling up and dying" - my first thought was bacterial canker but they had not seen any resin bleeding or oozing so had to rethink that one. There are some 9-10 trees in their garden infected, with a small Rowan close up underneath one of the said trees also showing some signs of an infection. Some pictures here:

photo.php?fbid=10151024414843485&set=a.10151024409278485.452920.504388484&type=3&theater

photo.php?fbid=10151024419368485&set=a.10151024409278485.452920.504388484&type=3&theater

view of the whole tree:

photo.php?fbid=10151024418093485&set=a.10151024409278485.452920.504388484&type=3&theater

It seems so far from the reading I have done on this website and elsewhere it is not bacterial canker or any environmental factors, such as poor drainage or soil conditions. The only thing I can seem to find which matches is something called leaf spot - link to RHS site here

The only advice for treatment of this condition seems to be to remove as much foliage as possible to reduce pathogen / inocculum levels and to possibly treat the tree with a copper fungicide to limit the spread.

Does anybody have experiences with this or similar diseases, and can you advise on the effectiveness of above treatments? Any advice or differing diagnoses much welcomed.

many thanks,

Luke

Edit - the links to pictures above appear to be broken - can anyone suggest where to post images to make it easy to share them online? Many thanks

Hi Luke, going by your description and i have not seen the picks its Black fly , Myzus cerasi, you can get a winter wash and i think its copper sulphate based, but don't Q me, i would have to look it up, depends on how many trees are affected and size \ maturity as to if its worthwhile treating, hope that helps.:thumbup1:

Hi Luke, going by your description and i have not seen the picks its Black fly , Myzus cerasi, you can get a winter wash and i think its copper sulphate based, but don't Q me, i would have to look it up, depends on how many trees are affected and size maturity as to if its worthwhile treating, hope that helps.:thumbup1:

Sorry thats the red wine playing with my memory, just use washing up liquid diluted with water as a wash, that will get rid of the little blighters :thumbup1: