Welcome to the Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forestry and Woodland management Discuss all aspects of forestry. Discuss ecological issues and laws pertaining to woodland management.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-06-12   #11 (permalink)

Re: 10 acre clear fell, 15 year old pine trees, what could the timber be used for?

There's always money in timber if you're willing to put the work in . . . .having said that what you're speaking of sounds like a loss leader. Do remember that there are a lot of savvy land owners out there that know what they have and often what its worth.
Tread carefully.

Cheers,
Andrew
-Chainsaw certification
andrew@townsendtreeservice.co.uk
Old 16-06-12   #12 (permalink)

The product is too young to be of any value, unless you're the type to get pleasure out of making your own fence posts I'd leave it. Unless you can get wig support. You'd need masses of timber to make it commercially viable.... Find your local Nptc trainer/accessor and let them use it for training then get it felled for free.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?kpd4y5
Old 16-06-12   #13 (permalink)

Re: 10 acre clear fell, 15 year old pine trees, what could the timber be used for?

Mini harvester might be able to munch through it at a rate that could be profitable - are there even many in the country?

If I had the time and money, I'd love one of these:

Usewood Pro - Small Harvester
Old 16-06-12   #14 (permalink)

thanks still waiting for pics to be sent back to me at the moment
Old 16-06-12   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2009, 2010, 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big J View Post
Mini harvester might be able to munch through it at a rate that could be profitable - are there even many in the country?

If I had the time and money, I'd love one of these:

Usewood Pro - Small Harvester
That would be cool. I still have a hankering for a Vimek 404T (i think it was) but don't fancy the headaches of keeping it in work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnoon View Post
thanks still waiting for pics to be sent back to me at the moment
At the risk of telling you how to do it, make sure you walk the WHOLE site before commiting to anything - quite often you'll find something that could slow the whole job down if you're not ready for it.
Old 16-06-12   #16 (permalink)

I would imagine if its up to 6" pine would be ideal for kindling machine if not too many knots. Unfortunately you are too far away.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Loggyw...9059086?ref=ts

LOGGYWOOD FIREWOOD AND WHOLESALE KINDLING PRODUCERS
Old 16-06-12   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gensetsteve View Post
I would imagine if its up to 6" pine would be ideal for kindling machine if not too many knots. Unfortunately you are too far away.
well yeas it looking that way at the moment,
Old 11-10-12   #18 (permalink)

Chances are if it's only 15 yrs old it's deaths size (7cm dbh) that's licence able. Make sure you check that it's not still covered by a grant scheme or they might have to pa the grant back.

There will hardly be any timber in it, mainly brash....

In forestry you don't even generally thin conifer plantations until they are 20 yrs old. Even then it's not really economic to do so but adds value long term to the crop.
Old 11-10-12   #19 (permalink)

Fell it, sned it, extract to road side, transport home/yard, peel it, point it, dip it, dry it, store it,advertise it, wait for phone to ring, starve to death, have coffin made from it.

FORGET IT!

http://www.arb-service.com
Old 26-12-12   #20 (permalink)

1 day too late but 10 year old pine trees? Is that not ideal Xmas trees? I'm sure the tree I borrowed this year was around that age. Maybe think about it for next November.