What multifuel boiler cooker range?

Rich D

Hi guys!

I'm looking to install one of these in the near future. I currently run a oil central heating system (vented) with 10 radiators.

I grew up with a rayburn 355sfw so know this beast pretty well, but there seems to be mixed reviews on these now and that the quality is not what it used to be.

Anyone with other recommendations? And comments on linking the solid fuel to the oil boiler either with as neutraliser of thermal store.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rayburn is ok but beware the quality and support we've only just got ours back on line after a boiler burst just over a year in. not great for a 5k appliance. that said i'd still say its better than an esse, more kw than anything else not so fussy on fuel, and bits aren't expensive or hard to get, the 355 sfw are the ford of the solid fuel cookers. tirola were good but again ceased being made.

I installed an Esse on the basis of there central heating claims. They have since downgraded the output and is more appropriate for DHW only.We installed a Dunsley Yorkshire to take over the role of central heating. Eventually we will replace the Esse with a Lohberger combined pellet and log burning cooker which will also easily do the central heating.

We changed from an oil range 12mths ago. We now run Rayburn 355 in kitchen and oil boiler in garage linked together with an H2 panel works very well hardly use the oil at all, only when we are out for long periods and house cools down or we are away. Cant recommend the H2 panel or Mike Smith highly enough.

Thanks for the replies so far, there nothing like first hand experience. What fuel are you guys using primarily wood?

I've also looked at a wamsler 900, it has good output (60000btus) and an adjustable grate. My concern is it lookes "tinny" for a £4k appliance.

Ye the H2 panel looks a neat system.

Cheers

We changed from an oil range 12mths ago. We now run Rayburn 355 in kitchen and oil boiler in garage linked together with an H2 panel works very well hardly use the oil at all, only when we are out for long periods and house cools down or we are away. Cant recommend the H2 panel or Mike Smith highly enough.

those h2 systems look good just been on there web site ther only 20 min aeay from me

I installed an Esse on the basis of there central heating claims. They have since downgraded the output and is more appropriate for DHW only.We installed a Dunsley Yorkshire to take over the role of central heating. Eventually we will replace the Esse with a Lohberger combined pellet and log burning cooker which will also easily do the central heating.

Esse have two size boilers on the standard model. The WD which has a boiler of 7000BTU of heat per hour to the water and 3 - 5 kw of radiant heat to the kitchin and the W35 model with a 33000 BTU per hour (9.7kw) boiler and 4.2kw of heat to the kitchin. This model has two proper cooking overs as opposed to the one oven and a plate warming oven on the Rayburn.

The larger 3 oven 990D model has a smaller firebox as it has an additional oven, with boiler heat output to water is 6670 BTU per hour and about 3.-5kw to the kitchin.

The Esse Ironheart has a small boiler only, heat to water up to 2.6kw but a massive 8kw to the room. Have sold many Ironhearts for farmhouses, cottages etc for fitting in place of old ranges in alcoves, people love them. As seen as River Cottage on Channel 4.

Esse have a price rise coming for all order placed after 1st June.

A

A