Welcome to the Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.


Forestry and Woodland management Discuss all aspects of forestry. Discuss ecological issues and laws pertaining to woodland management.


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-05-12   #21 (permalink)
Supporting member, Raffle Sponsor 2012
 
swinny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Barnoldswick
Posts: 2,408
Re: wage per tonne for felling sitka spruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Townsend View Post
Being provided with a saw and fuel makes it much sweeter as fuel and oil is a tenner before you start.

Andrew
i had to use my own saw for a few days and was given an extra tenner a day for using my saw thought that was tight? not sure on others opinions?
swinny is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-12   #22 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
born2trot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Vienna
Posts: 1,560
Re: wage per tonne for felling sitka spruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinny View Post
Lol the job i was doing hadn't been touched at all, no thinnings etc so it was a case of try get some down and get an area going and keep felling from there on
HaHa .. hope you werent rumbled and got some lolly out the stingy buggers !!
born2trot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-12   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 38
Re: wage per tonne for felling sitka spruce

I get 150 a day without complaint or hangers, wouldn't do it for less, better sitting watching breakfast telly than slogging it out for less. 60 a week for petrol & oil, 90 a week on diesel, saws, ppe, bars chains the list goes on.

Think a hairy arsed woodcutter would stand out like a sore thumb stacking the shelves in Tescos though....:cursin g:
henderson12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-12   #24 (permalink)
Supporting member, Raffle Sponsor 2012
 
swinny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Barnoldswick
Posts: 2,408
Re: wage per tonne for felling sitka spruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by henderson12 View Post
I get 150 a day without complaint or hangers, wouldn't do it for less, better sitting watching breakfast telly than slogging it out for less. 60 a week for petrol & oil, 90 a week on diesel, saws, ppe, bars chains the list goes on.

Think a hairy arsed woodcutter would stand out like a sore thumb stacking the shelves in Tescos though....:cursin g:
Where are you based though if you don't mind me asking?
swinny is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-12   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 38
Re: wage per tonne for felling sitka spruce

North London, but work anywhere within reason, try to keep within a 50 mile radius though.
henderson12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-12   #26 (permalink)
Supporting member, Raffle Sponsor 2012
 
swinny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Barnoldswick
Posts: 2,408
Re: wage per tonne for felling sitka spruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by henderson12 View Post
North London, but work anywhere within reason, try to keep within a 50 mile radius though.
there's poor rates up here though thats the problem
swinny is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-12   #27 (permalink)
Senior Member, User formerly known as Thompson Woodlands
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cumbria
Posts: 2,000
Re: wage per tonne for felling sitka spruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinny View Post
I get paid 80.00 a day self employed for felling all day mixed hard and soft , cutting to size, stacking and brashing. Provided with saw and fuel.....

What do people think of that?

I think that it should be 10.00 per ton! and some days i should be on at least 120 a day!!!


Depending on your experience, productivity and site thats good or average. What tonnage are you cutting per day?


Tonnage rate is fine on a nice site, but un-workable on some.
Sam Thompson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-12   #28 (permalink)
Senior Member, User formerly known as kjames
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,289
Re: wage per tonne for felling sitka spruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinny View Post
I get paid 80.00 a day self employed for felling all day mixed hard and soft , cutting to size, stacking and brashing. Provided with saw and fuel.....

What do people think of that?

I think that it should be 10.00 per ton! and some days i should be on at least 120 a day!!!
I think you are a man who is in work all year long, who goes at it steady ,as it should be, there's nothing wrong with 80 a day and yes 10 a ton or more if you can get it, private owned covers they just haven't got the money to pay big bucks, and my prices are about 10 to 15 years old that's because in that time the prices have not gone up nor has the price of fire wood really, by the way tree surgery is my main thing, but i did work in the woods a long time ago and am still in touch with a lot of the old cutters and i know what money they are on today, its PANTS. and so is planting whips . Rant over. one last thing how many of those of you who hit the big day rates work 5days 52 weeks? in the woods?
Jesse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-12   #29 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: fife
Posts: 248
Re: wage per tonne for felling sitka spruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
I think you are a man who is in work all year long, who goes at it steady ,as it should be, there's nothing wrong with 80 a day and yes 10 a ton or more if you can get it, private owned covers they just haven't got the money to pay big bucks, and my prices are about 10 to 15 years old that's because in that time the prices have not gone up nor has the price of fire wood really, by the way tree surgery is my main thing, but i did work in the woods a long time ago and am still in touch with a lot of the old cutters and i know what money they are on today, its PANTS. and so is planting whips . Rant over. one last thing how many of those of you who hit the big day rates work 5days 52 weeks? in the woods?
yes in the woods not always cutting same rate doing estate maintenance ditching fencing etc that is 20 per hour 25 to indivduals private customers doing similar jobs to be honest dont have a problem asking and getting that rate which i dont think is high considering the value of equipment .plumbers electricans etc here 35+ for a van and bag of spanners and yes experience although each to thier own
pro bros is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-12   #30 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Norfolk, dry part.
Posts: 412
Re: wage per tonne for felling sitka spruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinny View Post
there's poor rates up here though thats the problem
Started piece work felling in 1994. The average day rate was 60 quid self employed in Norfolk. Now hardly any cutters all done by big harvester including hardwood for firewood. Most cutters now tree surgeons!
Crazy Cutter is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
So iffen a 10 tonne TM is too heavy for the Moss, wot aboot a wee Landini at 4 tonne? difflock Firewood forum 0 25-03-12 08:36 PM
Sitka spruce growth rates marcin Forestry and Woodland management 5 25-01-11 03:45 PM
A fresh look at Sitka Spruce Paul Barton Video forum 17 29-11-10 05:20 AM
Sitka Spruce for firewood Michael C Firewood forum 14 17-11-10 08:52 PM
pricing felling 300 S.Spruce htb General chat 7 22-01-10 12:30 PM


Find tree care advice
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0